Possible collecting themes

Valentinian

The number of ancient coin types is far too large to collect them all, so many collectors seek coins that fit a "theme" they have in mind. Most of my collecting friends have several "mini-themes" going at once. I have long had a page:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/catalogs/themes.html
about potential collecting themes, with advice for beginners and references to further information about them. Today I improved it with larger photos and a new example at the top. 

If you like ancient coins but don't know what to collect, I recommend you read the threads in this forum until something strikes you as especially interesting. You don't need my list to find a theme. However, my page lists numerous "themes" others have found interesting and illustrates one coin from each theme.

Once again, the link is:  http://augustuscoins.com/ed/catalogs/themes.html

I encourage you to use this thread to mention (and illustrate) other potential themes or mini-themes. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Yes 1

That's a nice list of themes.

Some suggestions- emperors who died of natural causes, those died in war at the hands of enemies, at the hands of Praetorians. 

Here's something I've done, although the coins come from various cultures from various time points, they all share the same theme of tracing the maritime spice route. 

Spice route.jpg

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 12
  • Party 1
  • Smile 1

Great webpage @Valentinian!

I have a few themes that I’ve been working on and slowly trying to put together write ups for.

One is Portraits of the 12 Olympians.

Another is my Imperial Denarii Collection.

I also have a sub-collection of coins related to the Peloponnesian War. No write ups really yet but here are a few of the coins.

Sikyon_Stater_2.jpeg.53780e341f9aff03c823587e6fc16087.jpeg

Athens_454_Tet.jpeg.3c003c0137d89ace029a934ffd7c2711.jpeg

Thebes_Stater_Shield_Dionysus_Fin.jpeg.bbe37b84ebe136352d775246956af013.jpeg

Thebes_Stater_Classical_Style-5.jpeg.3e7882b8cc6a23c744eba2771f68101c.jpeg

Amisos_Owl_Hera.jpeg.39a7d83d767ff553e8f6994b267e181e.jpeg

Corinth_trihemidrachm.jpeg.f8c0a955fa5afba8ea4701a8694dae73.jpeg

Argos_Wolf_PPW.jpeg.665164c0c99f3b9b83b6475f9333aec2.jpeg

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

My personal collection consists mainly of Military mints. I'm a big fan of the roman army so it's nice to have a collection theme where you can be certain those coins were minted for Legionaries during historical events. 😄

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cordoba said:

i noticed this page was broken, i really want to see your collection of turkoman coinage!

Thank you for pointing out the broken link. I just fixed it. (I wish that anyone who finds a broken link on any of my pages would let me know.) The Turkoman link should have been (and now is) to this page:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Turkoman/Turkoman.html

There are so many potential themes. I just added a link to a page on "Coins of the Kingdom of the Bosporus":
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Bosporus/
I am not mentioning it here because I think you should visit that page. I don't. But, showing still another theme demonstrates that we, as ancient-coin collectors, are very lucky that there are so many different fascinating themes. Create your own collection and enjoy it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been toying with the idea of starting a Justinian I type set, but I already have a follis mint set underway so a type set might just be too much Justinian! :))

Screenshot_2024-09-12_at_12_36.10_PM-removebg-preview.png.59a511756f2dd06523069287e794960e.png
Constantinople, Byzantine Empire; Justinian I (the Great), 527-565
AE 40-nummi/follis, 24.3 g
obv: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, helmeted, cuirassed bust facing holding cross on globe and shield, cross to right
rev: large M, ANNO to left, cross above, regnal year to right (year 12 = 538/539), officina letter below (∆ = 4th officina), mintmark CON

ref = Sear (Byzantine) 163

I also have a Google doc where I list collections I may or may not start in the future, with some examples being:
- infamous/notorious ancient women 
- Quintus Pomponius Musa denarii 
- lesser known female rulers of antiquity (wrote an article on this one!)

Edited by porphyrogenita
  • Like 7

Thank you for the links, @Valentinian, very useful!

My personal theme is:

• Coins that tell a story

One could argue that each coin has its own story, and that is true, but I mainly focus on coins that have an interesting backstory and when you show them to someone you can go off for a tangent and talk about the whole circumstances that are connected to that coin.

Examples:  

IMG_5105.jpeg.c967931eef8024529584c3951335c7ac.jpeg

Minted in Babylon (or by a moving mint going there with Alexander) around the time Alexander The Great was there and about to die. Think of the stories this coin could tell!

IMG_5112.jpeg.660ba234a9806aeaf4f6972cb3129d0c.jpeg

Minted by a travelling mint moving with Caesar as he crossed the Rubicon to march towards Rome!

IMG_5115.jpeg.8516ab362b25a4fd2923fae561136378.jpeg

Coined for the inauguration of the Colosseum one year after the Vesuvius eruption! 

IMG_5113.jpeg.04c876d945bd36a830e44cbec87e9179.jpeg

Shows the minting tools on the reverse and the goddess Juno Moneta on the obverse, where the term for money comes from!

IMG_5108.jpeg.97b24c3b6790e14f2ba431574d3506a4.jpeg

Probably shows the head of the Colossus on the obverse, and it was minted some years after it fell but when it was still visible. 

IMG_5117.jpeg.f86b5632a150c6af007c640a2c37f3f0.jpeg

Minted for the 1.000th anniversary of Rome!

IMG_5111.jpeg.bfa10ff2482c6a24b9c1ed0675c97559.jpegIMG_5110.jpeg.9153ac06fa658fd51768c0944553fd12.jpeg

Coins minted to commemorate the Trial of the Vestal virgins.

I made several infographics, but the point is: I want a story to accompany my coins. There are also coins I have just because they look cool, but it’s not the same!

If you have any coins to suggest that meet my criteria, please let me know 🙂

Edited by AncientCoinnoisseur
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Heart 1

I've been collecting coins on and off since childhood, exploring various themes along the way. Coin collecting offers many different possibilities as described by other members in this thread. But whether focusing on rarities, denominations, motives, specific dynasties, countries, or metals like silver, bronze, or gold. Ultimately, what matters most is that it brings you joy no matter how you collect.

For me, the real fascination lies in the stories behind the coins. How they connect to significant historical events and figures. Currently, I'm aiming to build a collection that narrates the story of the Diadochi, from the Antigonid perspective, spanning from Alexander’s death in 323 BCE to the fall of the Macedonian Empire and the rise of the Roman protectorate. My goal is to develop a website to showcase this historical story through my collection.

• Like 4