Vespasian Judaea Capta denarius.

JayAg47

I finally added this coin, something I’ve been wanting to do for a while. There are plenty available, so I held out for the right example at the right price. Recently, I’ve been reading upon the Roman-Jewish wars and wanted a coin from that era. So far, I only have a prutah of Nero from that region. While I could get a bronze prutah minted during the wars, they don’t excite me as much, and the silver issues that were overstruck on Roman denarii and the shekels that I find interesting tend to be really pricey. Since the Judaea Capta is an iconic Flavian coin, I felt it would be a perfect fit to my collection. While these coins are relatively common, they often carry a premium due to their historical significance, which remains highly relevant today. I really like the young bust of Vespasian and the strong lettering on the reverse. 

I recently mentioned acquiring this coin in @David Atherton's post on his IVDAEA CAPTA sestertius, but I wanted to wait until I had it in hand before sharing. It looks like this type is where Judaea's legs are extended rather than drawn up, as identified by him in one of his posts. 

image00911.jpg.f1fb17d5795787da74bb6d28f9dabf18.jpg

Vespasian AR Denarius.
18mm, 3,02g 
Rome Mint, 69-70 AD
RIC II.1 2; BMCRE 35; RSC 226.
Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head to right.
Rev: Judaea seated to right against trophy; IVDAEA in exergue. 
Ex Roma Numismatics Ltd E-Sale 112  7 Sep 2023, lot 911. 
Ex Biga Numismatics Online Auction 12, Nov 2022, lot 274.

Interestingly I discovered I've been unintentionally assembling a Captive collection. 

Untitled.png.b340b817ea3a05955970846e4fa71296.png

Please share your coins from the Roman-Jewish Wars! 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 5
  • Yes 1

Awesome Judaea Capta coin. Congrats on the new addition to your collection!

I've owned two denarii of that type before but have since sold both of them. Currentky, my only Judaea Capta coin is this bronze as which I was delighted to pick up for a reasonable price. Even though it's pretty worn, the essentials are all there and I think the surfaces are honest.

TitusasJudaeaCapta.jpg.af75f3d0e77e626d11be5f4088b92268.jpg

TITUS as Caesar, AD 69-79
AE As (29.56mm, 9.42g, 6h)
Struck AD 77/8. Lugdunum mint
Obverse: T CAES IMP AVG F TR P COS VI CENSOR, laureate head of Titus right
Reverse: IVDAEA CAPTA, Judaea seated right mourning under palm tree, shields and vexillum behind, S C in exergue
References: RIC II 1268, RCV 2475
Warm brown patina with smoothly worn surfaces. This is one of many types commemorating the defeat of the Jewish rebels by Vespasian and his son Titus during the First Jewish War (AD 66-73)

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Yes 1

1 hour ago, JayAg47 said:

I finally added this coin, something I’ve been wanting to do for a while. There are plenty available, so I held out for the right example at the right price. Recently, I’ve been reading upon the Roman-Jewish wars and wanted a coin from that era. So far, I only have a prutah of Nero from that region. While I could get a bronze prutah minted during the wars, they don’t excite me as much, and the silver issues that were overstruck on Roman denarii and the shekels that I find interesting tend to be really pricey. Since the Judaea Capta is an iconic Flavian coin, I felt it would be a perfect fit to my collection. While these coins are relatively common, they often carry a premium due to their historical significance, which remains highly relevant today. I really like the young bust of Vespasian and the strong lettering on the reverse. 

I recently mentioned acquiring this coin in @David Atherton's post on his IVDAEA CAPTA sestertius, but I wanted to wait until I had it in hand before sharing. It looks like this type is where Judaea's legs are extended rather than drawn up, as identified by him in one of his posts. 

image00911.jpg.f1fb17d5795787da74bb6d28f9dabf18.jpg

Vespasian AR Denarius.
18mm, 3,02g 
Rome Mint, 69-70 AD
RIC II.1 2; BMCRE 35; RSC 226.
Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head to right.
Rev: Judaea seated to right against trophy; IVDAEA in exergue. 
Ex Roma Numismatics Ltd E-Sale 112  7 Sep 2023, lot 911. 
Ex Biga Numismatics Online Auction 12, Nov 2022, lot 274.

Interestingly I discovered I've been unintentionally assembling a Captive collection. 

Untitled.png.b340b817ea3a05955970846e4fa71296.png

Please share your coins from the Roman-Jewish Wars! 

I'm glad you finally got one! Additional points for it being the scracer 'outstretched legs' variant. Congrats!

• Like 3

Great coin @JayAg47! And nice 'captive' sub-collection you have going on. Makes a nice idea for a thread, actually; can we assemble a complete, chronological set of all 'captive coins' 🙂

Anyway, below is my denarius. I don't think its the'outstreched legs' variant @David Atherton mentions (never heard of that before, thanks for expanding my knowledge!). 

14.3.png.830da9853fe753ad90d8fd651a0c1ffb.png

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2

It"s always an occasion to celebrate when one achieves a collecting milestone. Nice example, congratulations @JayAg47 🙂.

Here is my example of this coin (not an outstretched legs type, either). Also, my Titus as for Judaea Capta, (one of the most cherished coins in my collection).

Vespasian denarius Judaea Capta OBV:REV - VGP !!.png

Titus as Judaea Capta - in hand- OBV - REV - Picture 2 - 2023 - 2024.png

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1