The bronze coins of Postumus from the roman mint of Trier

justus

Even though I've been a member of the Numisforum for some time, so far I have mostly limited myself to reading the posts in this interesting forum. I am collecting ancient Roman coins for more than 30 years and, as a member of the former "Trierer Münzfreunde", with a focus on “Coins of the Roman mint of Trier”. For this reason, my collecting activities are primarily based on historical aspects. Ancient coins are archaeological evidence that reflect the spirit of the time in which they were minted. So I don't actually collect coins. I collect history!

In addition to the numerous coins of this mint from the period from Diocletianus (293 - 305) to Valentinianus III. (425 - approx. 445), the coins that Jerome Mairat* attributes to the mint of Trier in the time of the Gallic Empire from Postumus (260–269) to Aurelianus (274) have a very special fascination for me. Anyone who ever has held the weighty bronze coins of Postumus in his hands, whether they are sesterces or double sesterces, knows what I am talking about.

* Jerome Mairat, The coinage of the Gallic Empire, Thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the University of Oxford, Wolfson College, volume II, Trinity 2014.

The bronze coins that Postumus minted between late 260 and early 262 played a crucial role in addressing the shortage of low-denomination coins. By refreshing the inventory of bronze coins, he was able to stabilize the economic situation. It can be assumed that Postumus also had earlier sesterces melted down in order to increase the total value of the bronze coins in circulation by minting overvalued double sesterces.

The shortage of bronze coins, which occurred just a few months after he took office, may also have led Postumus to use the popular bronze coins as a propaganda tool to consolidate his power and return to the monetary standards of the past. 

The popularity of these coinages is further underlined by the appearance of unofficial bronze coinages in his name. These unofficial coins, which were often made of double sesterces and sometimes resembled their official counterparts, often had barbarized-looking types and were often only cast in clay molds.

A short time ago I was able to add 3 new sesterces from the Trier region with a wonderful dark green "archaeological patina and remains of earth deposits" to my Gallic Empire collection from the mint of Trier.

Fig. 1 – Lot of bronze coins of Postumus from my collection

IMG_6676.jpg

Edited by justus
  • Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

Fig. 2 - Postumus

Æ sestertius, mint of Trier (office B, 2nd issue) mid to late 260 AD.

Obv. [IMP C M CAS]S LAT [POSTVMVS P F AVG] / radiate, draped bust right with paludamentum (seen from front).

Rev. VICT[ORIA AVG] / Victory running left, holding wreath and palm and spurning bound captive seated at foot left.

Weight: 11.24 g. Diameter: 27mm. Axis: 11 o'clock.

Ref. Mairat 22, Bastien 3, Elmer 253 (Köln).

According to Jerome Mairat, this coin is one of the earliest postumus bronze coins (No. 22) from the Trier mint.

Postumus Mairat 22.jpg

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

Fig. 3 - Postumus

Æ Double sestertius, mint of Trier (office A, 3rd edition) spring 261 AD.

Obv. [IMP C M] CASS LA[T POSTVMV]S P F AVG / radiate, draped bust right with paludamentum (seen from front).

Rev. [FELICITAS] PVBLICAT (T = legend error ?) / Felicitas standing left, holding long caduceus and cornucopia. S – C in field. Weight: 12.48 g. Diameter: 33 mm. Axis: 11 o'clock.

Ref. Mairat -, Bastien 23b (only two copies with the same stamp are known), Elmer -.

According to Jerome Mairat, this coin is one of the earliest postumus bronze coins (No. 23b) from the mint of Trier.

Postumus Mairat -, Bastien 23B.jpg

• Like 12
  • Clap 1

Fig. 4 – Postumus

Æ Double sestertius, mint of Trier (offizin A) spring – end of 261 AD.

Av. [IMP C M CAS]S LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG / radiate, draped bust right with paludamentum (seen from front).

Rev. [LAETITI]A / Galley to the left, 4 rowers, 10 oars. AV[G] in ex.

Weight: 11.81g Diameter: 32mm Axis: 11 o'clock.

Ref. Mairat 122, Bastien 90, Elmer -.

Postumus Mairat 122.jpg

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

Nice collection of Gallic/trier examples. I currently only have one Postumus minted at Trier

Postumus AR Antoninianus. Trier. 264-265 CE
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left with scales in right hand and holding cornucopiae and raising hem of skirt with left. RIC 75. RSC 199, Sear 10962. (Note the curly hair above the brow on the obverse.
This is one of the main characteristics which distinguishes this coin from RIC 315 from Cologne, on which the hair is in more or less straight lines.)

20240319_165616__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.97fef5746286a50b3fb78eff28fa3265.png

• Like 11

Thank you for this 'coming out' in a numismatic way @justus! There are other Gallic Empire-collectors, like @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, I'm sure they'll welcome you. I only have these two antoniniani to show in return. On my wish list is a nicely silvered coin from Marius and Laelianus, but these are hard to find.

PS: Can somebody explain to me how I can adjust the different size of these coins on my computer screen? Thx!

Postumus RIC 316.png

2340_postume-antoninien-64.jpeg

Edited by Coinmaster
  • Like 8

33 minutes ago, Coinmaster said:

PS: Can somebody explain to me how I can adjust the different size of these coins on my computer screen? Thx!

If you want to make changes after posting, you have to go to the tree dots and select EDIT. 

Then double click on the picture and a window opens, e. g.:

size.jpg.7f41a8a4362e5739d7a4a28b95c6fef5.jpg

You can adjust the size of your image here, but you can't make it bigger than it is. 

Don't forget the "Keep original aspect ratio"

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Postumus-260-269-AESestertius-31_5mm_23.88g6hTreveri-RxFidesstandingleft-RICV124blackpatina.jpg.ee1d7560a88ab1eae72cc2511146329a.jpg

Postumus (260-269). Æ Sestertius (31.5mm, 23.88g, 6h). Treveri, AD 261. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. R/ Fides standing facing, head l., holding two signa. RIC V 124.

One wonders if the very small radiates were debased double sestertii or early in the reign dupondii?

Postumus-260-269-AEdupondiussizeDoubleSestertius-23mm6_1g.VICTORIAAVGRCV11065.jpg.d95dd4b2a66cf19dfc94dd5c984053f7.jpg

POSTUMUS AE dupondius. IMP C M CASS LATT POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse - VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left, captive at feet. RCV 11065. 23mm, 6.1g.

• Like 6

For those of you who want to delve more deeply into the last large bronzes under Postumus, Adrian Marsden has written a very interesting essay on this topic, which I can only recommend reading.

https://www.academia.edu/96286115/The_Last_of_the_Large_Bronzes_The_aes_coinage_of_Postumus_AD260_9

"There are the radiate double sestertii with the longer obverse legend of IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG and the single sestertii with the shorter legend of IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG and a laureate portrait. The size of these coins seems generally to have been reduced over time. Indeed, some of Postumus’ double sestertii were overstruck on the single sestertii of earlier emperors (figure 4). Although there are smaller coins with long legends and radiate busts that are often referred to as dupondii and smaller laureate coins with shortened legends that are often called asses, these were almost certainly produced as reduced size double sestertii and sestertii." (Adrian Marsden, 2023)

Edited by justus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I very much like the coins of the Gallic Empire, they represent an interesting part of history.  Also I like the portraits, the faces seem to me interesting and expressive. I "need" to get some more.
Unfortunately I haven't any of Postumus' heavier bronzes, only a couple of ants. And the edition of RIC I have doesn't identify any of them as being from Treveri.
This one might be, though?

postumus.jpg.7ccfb01041626a6eef53440df7727b16.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

I have one 'double sestertius' of Postumus. Its a worn specimen, especially the reverse. I'm assuming it's from later during his reign, considering the weight. According to RIC (via ocre) its struck in Lugdunum. But I've seen other references pointing to Trier. I have no clue. I should give my coin more attention and do more research....

95.1.png.dd8fa204eb9bb2ea87488b411f95960e.png

Postumus
260 - 269 AD (Gallic Empire) 
Double sestertius, 30 mm, 18,80 gr.  
Lugdunum (?), 260 - 269 AD / Gallic empire 
Obv: [IMP C M CAS]S LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate and draped bust right
Rev: VIRT-VS AVG (no S C), Mars, standing right, holding spear in right hand and leaning on shield with left hand
Ref: RIC 179 (via OCRE), J. Mairat 115, plate 2 (THE COINAGE OF THE GALLIC EMPIRE, Trinity, 2014)
Ex. Gorny & Mosch e-auction 295 
Ex. Munzkabinett Funk, Neukeferloh (with old German collectors ticket.) 

Edited by Limes
  • Like 5

I like the AR or BI Antoniniani of Postumus too. The portraits of these silver coins are generally of excellent beauty and very detailed. However, the very rare reverses are extremely expensive and difficult to obtain.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

Fig. 5 – Postumus

Æ Double sestertius, mint of Trier (3rd emission) 261 AD.

Av. IMP C M CASS LAT POSTVMVS P F AVG / radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right (seen from front).

Rev. VICTOR – IA AVG / Victory running left, holding wreath amd palm branch, bound captive sitting left at feet. .

Weight: 22.2 g Diameter: 34 mm Axis: 12 o'clock.

Ref. Mairat 137, Bastien 102, 366.

Postumus Mairat 137.jpg

• Like 5

@justus nice collection of Postumus large bronzes! I collect mainly antoniniani of the Gallic empire. I find the large bronzes much more difficult to collect -- the preservation is often poor (they generally weren't hoarded), nice ones are expensive and many have manipulated surfaces -- so I don't seek them out.

Here are two of mine that I have photos of:

1451MONNAIEROMAINEPOSTUMESESTERCEa.jpg.f89080a87a2766b7134cae8ea8daeda2.jpg

Almost no legend is visible on the first one, but I liked the bust. The casting sprue is prominent, see 12 o'clock on obverse.

1625SestercedePostumelaGalre-148gb.png.764295b3624bc48d685ace7692788076.png

• Like 4

Just to summarise where we seem to be with the identity of the Gallic mints, as it is very confusing with all the competing theories interjected at different times. Let me know if I am wrong!

- Some are marked COL CL AGRIP COS IIII, which is definitely Cologne.
- a Tetricus officina was found at Trier. So we have two mints, but they were combined by the end of Tetricus I's rule.
- Lyon is out of the picture (RIC is out of date).
- Milan features but only with the Aureolus revolt against Gallienus.

It seems there are two distinct styles of Gallic Empire coin, which fit with two mints - one following the COL CL AGRIP COS IIII coins of Cologne and one, older, style, which was given to Trier. Whether you accept this depends on where you think the capital of the Gallic Empire (and so the main mint) was at any given time, and when the other mint opened.

Mairat uses hoard location evidence to show:
- Postumus's later (debased) issues came from Trier.
- Laelianus's all came from Cologne.
- Marius and Victorinus coins can be divided between Cologne and Trier on style (based on Postumus's coins marked Cologne)
- Tetricus I and II are complicated by the fact that the mints merged during their reign, so it isn't possible to say whether any given coin of theirs is Cologne or Trier.

That leaves unassigned the main issues of Postumus, struck when he took over a mint set up by Gallienus. This includes:
- all bronze.
- the first issues where Postumus looks like Gallienus and is often called Postimus.
- the middle issues including 'curly hair for Trier'.

Trier is a neater solution for the original mint in terms of mint organisation (Cologne requires some of its officinas to be transferred to Trier), with Cologne opened later as an extra officina. But there isn't any evidence, so all of Postumus's coins beyond those marked Cologne or the last (debased) issues from Trier cannot be firmly assigned to one or the other.

Postumus Double Sestertius, 261-262
image.png.bcfd8b7eeecec04542d2e9e98f75da42.png
Unknown Mint. Bronze, 32mm, 23.61g. Bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right; IMP C M CASS LAT POSTV(MVS P F AVG). Unknown reverse.
Overstruck on: Faustina I Sestertius, 141. Rome. (Average size 29-32mm, 23.5g). Bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved and coiled in bands across head and drawn up at back and piled in a round coil on top; DIVA FAVSTINA. Pietas, veiled, draped, standing left, raising right hand above lighted altar left and holding box in left hand; AVGVSTA S C (RIC III, 1127). 
Found in Essex.

Postumus Antoninianus, mid 262-mid 263 (Issue 4)
image.png.7fe58d36bb122cab4466a75aa6d881b7.png
Trier(?), Officina B(?). Silver, 24mm, 3.32g. Radiate, draped with paludamentum, bust of Postumus seen from front, right; IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG. Hercules standing left, holding branch in right hand and club and lion skin in left hand; HERC PACIFERO (Mairat 250; RIC V, 67). NGC 2083747-038. From the South Petherton (Somerset) Hoard 2013, Portable Antiquities Scheme IARCH-BD8431.

Postumus Antoninianus, struck under Aureolus, 267
image.png.fc6ef4f17f848259463a01a38b28cb27.png
Milan. Billon, 22mm, 3.84g. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right; IMP POSTVMVS AVG. Fides seated left, holding patera and standard; FIDES AEQVIT (RIC V.2, 376). From the Pamphill (Dorset) Hoard 2011.

Postumus Antoninianus, mid-end 268 (Issue 9)
image.png.fac91aa0a22e614b4c034a0d3591fb57.png
Trier, Officina A. Billon, 21mm, 3.06g. Bust of Postumus, radiate, cuirassed, draped with paludamentum, seen from front, right; IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG. Sol, walking left, raising right hand and holding whip in left hand, cloak flying behind; P in left field; ORIENS AVG (Mairat 463; RIC V, 316). From the Hollingbourne (Kent) Hoard 1959 (Portable Antiquities Scheme: IARCH-B74ECB).

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

11 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Just to summarise where we seem to be with the identity of the Gallic mints, as it is very confusing with all the competing theories interjected at different times. Let me know if I am wrong!

- Some are marked COL CL AGRIP COS IIII, which is definitely Cologne.
- a Tetricus officina was found at Trier. So we have two mints, but they were combined by the end of Tetricus I's rule.
- Lyon is out of the picture (RIC is out of date).
- Milan features but only with the Aureolus revolt against Gallienus.

It seems there are two distinct styles of Gallic Empire coin, which fit with two mints - one following the COL CL AGRIP COS IIII coins of Cologne and one, older, style, which was given to Trier. Whether you accept this depends on where you think the capital of the Gallic Empire (and so the main mint) was at any given time, and when the other mint opened.

Mairat uses hoard location evidence to show:
- Postumus's later (debased) issues came from Trier.
- Laelianus's all came from Cologne.
- Marius and Victorinus coins can be divided between Cologne and Trier on style (based on Postumus's coins marked Cologne)
- Tetricus I and II are complicated by the fact that the mints merged during their reign, so it isn't possible to say whether any given coin of theirs is Cologne or Trier.

That leaves unassigned the main issues of Postumus, struck when he took over a mint set up by Gallienus. This includes:
- all bronze.
- the first issues where Postumus looks like Gallienus and is often called Postimus.
- the middle issues including 'curly hair for Trier'.

Trier is a neater solution for the original mint in terms of mint organisation (Cologne requires some of its officinas to be transferred to Trier), with Cologne opened later as an extra officina. But there isn't any evidence, so all of Postumus's coins beyond those marked Cologne or the last (debased) issues from Trier cannot be firmly assigned to one or the other.

Postumus Double Sestertius, 261-262
image.png.bcfd8b7eeecec04542d2e9e98f75da42.png
Unknown Mint. Bronze, 32mm, 23.61g. Bust of Postumus, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right; IMP C M CASS LAT POSTV(MVS P F AVG). Unknown reverse.
Overstruck on: Faustina I Sestertius, 141. Rome. (Average size 29-32mm, 23.5g). Bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved and coiled in bands across head and drawn up at back and piled in a round coil on top; DIVA FAVSTINA. Pietas, veiled, draped, standing left, raising right hand above lighted altar left and holding box in left hand; AVGVSTA S C (RIC III, 1127). 
Found in Essex.

Postumus Antoninianus, mid 262-mid 263 (Issue 4)
image.png.7fe58d36bb122cab4466a75aa6d881b7.png
Trier(?), Officina B(?). Silver, 24mm, 3.32g. Radiate, draped with paludamentum, bust of Postumus seen from front, right; IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG. Hercules standing left, holding branch in right hand and club and lion skin in left hand; HERC PACIFERO (Mairat 250; RIC V, 67). NGC 2083747-038. From the South Petherton (Somerset) Hoard 2013, Portable Antiquities Scheme IARCH-BD8431.

Postumus Antoninianus, struck under Aureolus, 267
image.png.fc6ef4f17f848259463a01a38b28cb27.png
Milan. Billon, 22mm, 3.84g. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right; IMP POSTVMVS AVG. Fides seated left, holding patera and standard; FIDES AEQVIT (RIC V.2, 376). From the Pamphill (Dorset) Hoard 2011.

Postumus Antoninianus, mid-end 268 (Issue 9)
image.png.fac91aa0a22e614b4c034a0d3591fb57.png
Trier, Officina A. Billon, 21mm, 3.06g. Bust of Postumus, radiate, cuirassed, draped with paludamentum, seen from front, right; IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG. Sol, walking left, raising right hand and holding whip in left hand, cloak flying behind; P in left field; ORIENS AVG (Mairat 463; RIC V, 316). From the Hollingbourne (Kent) Hoard 1959 (Portable Antiquities Scheme: IARCH-B74ECB).

The overstruck double sestertius is a real treasure 🤩.

• Like 2

Welcome to Numisforums @justus , and thanks for sharing your nice collection of Postumus’ big bronzes. I have many (early issues) specimens from the Trier mint, but most of them have not been photographed properly; I’ll have to work on it. 

1 hour ago, John Conduitt said:

So we have two mints, but they were combined by the end of Tetricus I's rule.

There is a big change in the new RIC V.4 about the date of the closing of the mint of Cologne. New evidence tends to prove that the 2 mints were already merged at the beginning of Tetricus’ reign. It could explains why they are so many « cross-mint » hybrids in the Tetrici ´s coinage. Mairat even calculate an approximation of the duration to the « interregnum » between the death of Victorinus ans the accession of Tetricus I to the throne; around three, possibly even four, weeks. 

• Like 4

• Benefactor

I have no Postumus bronzes, and only one antoninianus ascribed by Mairat to Trier -- and by most other authorities to Cologne. I have absolutely no idea as to which is correct! Although the hair looks quite curly to me, if that's actually a factor.

Postumus, silvered billon Antoninianus, Trier [Mairat] or Cologne Mint, 265-268 AD. [Mairat pp. 61, 64: 266-267 AD.] Obv. Radiate & draped bust right, IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG / Rev. Serapis, crowned and draped, standing left, raising right hand and holding transverse sceptre in left hand; in background, prow of galley right, SERAPI COMITI AVG. RIC V-1 329, RSC IV 358, Sear RCV III 10992 (ill. p. 364), Mairat 362 (pp. 532-533) & Pls 143-144 [Jerome Mairat, The Coinage of the Gallic Empire (Trinity, Oxford, 2014), available at https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:58eb4e43-a6d5-4e93-adeb-f374b9749a7f/download_file?file_format=pdf&safe_filename=Volume_1.pdf&type_of_work=Thesis ]. 21 mm., 3.80 g. 

image.png.817439aeffb9a63079ab7b6b07074bd7.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

Yes, I find that is not a strong argument too. But maybe that's not all @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix?

There are three different antoniniani with the reverse SERAPI COMITI AVG. The rarest one is with the vertical scepter (# 305), there are two with the transverse sceptre (# 303-304), but one has a prow of ship at feet like yours (# 304). And definitely from Trier, notwithstanding the curly hair...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Examining my Antoninian collection of Postumus, I couldn't find an obverse portrait that had a similar "curled hairstyle" as the SERAPI Antoninian of Donna. All obverse portraits have “straight, backward flowing” hair. In my opinion, this slightly different portrait design should be examined to see whether the reason for the difference cannot be attributed to the Cologne mint. However, all recent reference works such as Roman Imperial Coinage (RIC²) and Mairat's comprehensive analysis tend to point to Trier.

Mint of Cologne

- RIC 329 (Cologne) lists several spellings: SARAPI COMITI AVG / SARAPIDI COMITI AVG (apparently legend error) or SERAPI COMITI AVG.

- Cohen (Cologne) SARAPI COMITI AVG (357), SARAPIDI COMITI AVG (358) and SERAPI COMITI AVG (360).

- Elmer 382 (Cologne, early phase, with prow) / Elmer 383 (Cologne, late phase, without prow).

Mint of Trier

- RIC² 303 (Trier Mint).

- AGK (Schulzki) 90 (Trier)

- Mairat 362 (Trier, 2nd issue) distinguishes between two different reverse portraits: Serapis standing facing, with prow (Cologne, Elmer 382) and serapis standing left, without prow (Cologne, Elmer 383).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1