If you had $10,000 to spend on coin/coins what would you get?

JayAg47

$10,000? Hmm...that requires some thought!

I'd probably spend a good $3-4K on a nice, problem-free lifetime portrait denarius of Julius Caesar.

I might spend another $2K or so on a good problem-free IVDAEA CAPTA sestertius.

Clichéd I know, but it is what it is. 😜

The remaining might be spent on a select few coins in very high grade, probably Roman Imperial, or else on a few very rare, interesting types in lesser grades.

• Like 7
  • Big Smile 1
  • Yes 1

how about $100,000...we usually want what we cant afford...but if your circumstances changed that drastically, you would lQQk at things much differently than now..   you might get one or two that you wasn't able to buy but then youd realize that there's not too many you couldn't buy and therefore they become less important to you....

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

• Benefactor

Personally, I would buy my wife a very nice pair of earrings. The issue is that my life circumstances would diminish significantly were she to find a $10k coin purchase, but were I to butter her up I may receive an okay for a less expensive coin...

• Like 2
  • Big Smile 2
  • Laugh 3
  • Smile 5

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Roman Collector said:

I'd buy one aureus of Faustina I and another of Faustina II. 

A few years ago, I almost bought an example of the Faustina II aureus with a dove on the reverse. So tempting. I think that would definitely be one of my purchases if I had $10,000 to spend on coins. I would be left with around $5,000 (at least), and need to give some thought to how I would spend it.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Yes 1

On 9/24/2024 at 11:30 PM, DonnaML said:

A few years ago, I almost bought an example of the Faustina II aureus with a dove on the reverse. So tempting. I think that would definitely be one of my purchases if I had $10,000 to spend on coins. I would be left with around $5,000 (at least), and need to give some thought to how I would spend it.

This brings to mind when I spotted a Faustina aureus among other aureii at a coin show in February 2021. While the other aureii were quite pricey, the Faustina was relatively affordable at just $5,000 AUD, or $3,500 USD! However, I didn’t come across those coins at later shows, perhaps they were sold or consigned elsewhere.
IMG_9894.jpeg.0adc824a2fa924c197c4342ca1d897ff.jpeg

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

Why this coin 🤔?

MeshorerAelia177.jpg.f10e1722fd4417d239695c6fba61a854.jpg

I don't have this type yet, and this is by far the best example I know. And it is very unlikely I will buy this coin unless I get free $10k to spend on coins 😁, I rarely spend over $1000 on a single coin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a limit, on what I would ever spend on a single coin. But if I had $10,000, and I had to spend it on coins, then I would buy the following.

1. A Janus Aes Grave. Cost : $3,000.

2. Various coins in my wish list, which I have not yet been able to find in my price range, with the eye appeal that I require. I hope to eventually acquire these coins, even without $10,000 fun money. With $10,000 fun money, I could more quickly obtain the coins.

3. A gold 8 escudos cob coin, if I had enough money. Cost : I don't even know, because it's way more than I would ever spend on a single coin. But, maybe I could get one with what's left over from the $10,000, after the above purchases.

4. But, if I were allowed to be practical, then I wouldn't buy any of the above coins. Instead, I would be practical, and simply buy a few 1 ounce gold American Eagle coins, or a few 1 ounce gold Canadian maple coins. In other words, bullion coins. But, if I weren't allowed to be practical, then I would buy the above coins.

Edited by sand
  • Like 4

My first purchase would be a New Style Tetradrachm issued in 87/6-84 B.C. issued by Sulla in Athens for the war against Mithradates VI.

image.jpeg.def1e707eb5214d41dfb95554a826751.jpeg

87/6-84 B.C., when the Roman consul Sulla landed his army in Greece to wage war against Mithradates VI.

Although this would leave most of the $10K unspent, depending on the condition, the rest might not cover my second choice - a coin from his rival:

image.jpeg.b4514bcbba32e590bf1393b32cdbd2ed.jpeg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 5