..STARTING MININUM BID 8000 CHF....NERO SEATED SECURITAS REVERSE DUPONDIUS ...HOW MUCH IS MINE WORTH?

ominus1

55 minutes ago, Limes said:

It sure is a beauty. In 2022 it was sold for 22k CHF. So, I would say 10k estimate is low. 

Yeah, as high as it sounds I don't see 8K as highly unreasonable. Not only is the coin in excellent condition (much better, even, than @Octavius's superb examples,) but it is a masterpiece of artistic talent as well.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 1:34 PM, CPK said:

Yeah, as high as it sounds I don't see 8K as highly unreasonable. Not only is the coin in excellent condition (much better, even, than @Octavius's superb examples,) but it is a masterpiece of artistic talent as well.

It got sold previously for 22k. Too much for me, but if I had too much money; I'd absolutely pay it. It's a masterpiece.

Edited by Mucius Scaevola
  • Like 1

Got this one in a group lot from that "Vitangelo" collection from Roma a few years ago - I tried to let it grow on me, but eventually let it go as I couldn't enjoy the good bits over the huge flat areas on the coin. It sold for $300 IIRC - better eye appeal with this apple green patina probably would have fetched quite a bit more!

ZomboDroid15072021211554.jpg.0b9d1efd8657600452454d29b97d8700.jpg

Edited by Finn235
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

I agree the coin is a masterpiece, superbly preserved and with beautiful tone. 8000 CHF is a lot, but if somebody appreciates the quality can afford it, go for it.

My "collectors grade" example cost me about 190 euros. It is good enough for me (and my budget). 

Nero as or dupondius SECURITAS - OBV - REV - 2024 .png

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1

9 hours ago, Finn235 said:

Got this one in a group lot from that "Vitangelo" collection from Roma a few years ago - I tried to let it grow on me, but eventually let it go as I couldn't enjoy the good bits over the huge flat areas on the coin. It sold for $300 IIRC - better eye appeal with this apple green patina probably would have fetched quite a bit more!

ZomboDroid15072021211554.jpg.0b9d1efd8657600452454d29b97d8700.jpg

you know that one may not a dupondius...Neros not wearing a radiate crown...nor the pie mar on the reverse..(maybe-)...i'd say the ones without are As's...

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

Well..yours are quite far away from 3k 😜 Leu's coin is a masterpiece. The style, the shape. And people pay special prices for this sort of coins.

indeed i dont' believe my coin is worth $3000...but at the same time i dont' believe i one for sale is worth 8000...let alone 22000 chf....who in their right mind would buy a coin then in a month or 2 trun around and hope to sell it for less then half that...

4 hours ago, ominus1 said:

indeed i dont' believe my coin is worth $3000...but at the same time i dont' believe i one for sale is worth 8000...let alone 22000 chf....who in their right mind would buy a coin then in a month or 2 trun around and hope to sell it for less then half that...

These kind of coins have no price tag. This is not just a simple ef dupondius; this is a piece of art. And if someone has the spare money; his choice. I would do it. And I can imagine that the price will go into the same area as before. There are coins where you can estimate a value and there are coins like this one. Simple as that.

Edited by Mucius Scaevola

On 9/24/2024 at 5:00 PM, ominus1 said:

...this coin is in much better shape than mine but i reckon 3000 CHF ain't too far out of the ball park for mine ^^....your thoughts   🙂

image00160.jpg?1726570874
Lot 160
  CHF
This lot is on your Watch List
Estimate: 10 000 CHF
Minimum bid: 8000 CHF

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

@ominus1 , which exactly is your coin?  Is it the example one sees in perspective with the two Victoria asse? 

3 hours ago, GERMANICVS said:

@ominus1 , which exactly is your coin?  Is it the example one sees in perspective with the two Victoria asse? 

...yup its the top one...its the only pic i have  of it at the moment and my cameras on the blink..

3 hours ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

These kind of coins have no price tag. This is not just a simple ef dupondius; this is a piece of art. And if someone has the spare money; his choice. I would do it. And I can imagine that the price will go into the same area as before. There are coins where you can estimate a value and there are coins like this one. Simple as that.

...its a nice coin but it ain't THAT nice...sounds like you may be the one who bought it last time   😄

1 hour ago, ominus1 said:

...yup its the top one...its the only pic i have  of it at the moment and my cameras on the blink..

...its a nice coin but it ain't THAT nice...sounds like you may be the one who bought it last time   😄

No, it‘s not exactly my price range 🙂 But I only buy coins with a very beautiful style, let‘s say this is my collection area 😉 and this coin here just has a perfect style. 
I once had a Trebonianus Gallus, which I sold at Leu (I think). It had an exceptional style and I‘d say that is was the most expensive sold coin for this common issue. Because people like exceptional styles. That‘s it🙂