My new MVC (most valuable coin)

lordmarcovan

IMG_9284.jpeg.8b401363c2797cc7955d8ac2fd18102b.jpeg

This 1927 Saint-Gaudens double-eagle in PCGS MS66 is now my single most (monetarily) valuable coin, at least per the PCGS priceguide value.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/73263326

But in terms of my personal excitement, it’s not quite even in my Top Ten, although I’m plenty pleased to own it.

You see, I’m kind of jaded by Saints and Morgan dollars. You just see so many of them at shows. They’re both beautiful types, of course. (I also picked up a nice white NGC MS66+ 1880-S Morgan the day I bought this Saint.)

Perhaps one day I might swap this coin for something that interests me more- an ancient or early hammered World gold coin that appeals to me more historically- but in the meantime, I’m perfectly content to have this piece be my “blue chip” coin.

You can’t deny it’s aesthetically appealing.

Share your own MVC, if you feel like it.

IMG_9285.jpeg.460f1974465f724107bf38ebed8af52a.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 15
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

A beautiful coin, and a big hunk of gold to boot!

Technically, my MVC is my 1 oz. gold Krugerrand 😉 - but if we are talking circulation coins, it'd probably be either my JC portrait denarius, or my Lysimachos tetradrachm.

This one isn't quite my most expensive, but getting close:

Augustusdenariusobcivisservatos.jpg.ddc9c9ecd5cf702ca085b460c42b028b.jpg

AUGUSTUS, 27 BC-AD 14
AR Denarius (20.36mm, 3.77g, 7h)
Struck 19 BC. Colonia Patricia mint
Obverse: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head of Augustus right
Reverse: OB CIVIS SERVATOS in straight lines above and below oak wreath
References: RIC I 75a, RCV 1625 var.
Well struck on good metal and attractively toned.

The reverse design of this coin, with the legend OB CIVIS SERVATOS (“For Saving the Citizens”) and an oak wreath, is a reference to the Corona Civica, a military decoration in the form of a wreath of oak leaves, which was awarded to those who had saved the lives of fellow citizens. Roman historian Cassius Dio (c. 165-c. 235) records this honor being given to Augustus, or Caesar as he is called, at the beginning of his reign in 27 BC:

"Caesar had received many honors previously, when the matter of declining the sovereignty and that regarding the division of the provinces were under discussion. For the right to fasten the laurel in front of his royal residence and to hang the oak-leaf crown above the doors was then voted him to symbolize the fact that he was always victorious over enemies and preserved the citizens."

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

14 hours ago, CPK said:

A beautiful coin, and a big hunk of gold to boot!

Technically, my MVC is my 1 oz. gold Krugerrand 😉 - but if we are talking circulation coins, it'd probably be either my JC portrait denarius, or my Lysimachos tetradrachm.

This one isn't quite my most expensive, but getting close:

Augustusdenariusobcivisservatos.jpg.ddc9c9ecd5cf702ca085b460c42b028b.jpg

AUGUSTUS, 27 BC-AD 14
AR Denarius (20.36mm, 3.77g, 7h)
Struck 19 BC. Colonia Patricia mint
Obverse: CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head of Augustus right
Reverse: OB CIVIS SERVATOS in straight lines above and below oak wreath
References: RIC I 75a, RCV 1625 var.
Well struck on good metal and attractively toned.

The reverse design of this coin, with the legend OB CIVIS SERVATOS (“For Saving the Citizens”) and an oak wreath, is a reference to the Corona Civica, a military decoration in the form of a wreath of oak leaves, which was awarded to those who had saved the lives of fellow citizens. Roman historian Cassius Dio (c. 165-c. 235) records this honor being given to Augustus, or Caesar as he is called, at the beginning of his reign in 27 BC:

"Caesar had received many honors previously, when the matter of declining the sovereignty and that regarding the division of the provinces were under discussion. For the right to fasten the laurel in front of his royal residence and to hang the oak-leaf crown above the doors was then voted him to symbolize the fact that he was always victorious over enemies and preserved the citizens."

Your presentation is superb.  (As too, of course, is the coin itself.)

4 hours ago, Croatian Coin Collector said:

The Ancient Chinese State of Chu Gold Ying Yuan (minted sometime between 400 BCE and 220 BCE) is the one I paid the most for (7244,74 EUR (5850 EUR for the coin itself + another 1394,74 EUR for the "buyer's premium", shipping, insurance and credit card payment fee)):

Ancient Chinese State of Chu Gold Ying Yuan (minted sometime between 400 BCE and 220 BCE).jpg

Wow!  That one’s worth more than my decidedly “modern” US coin.  And with so much more history.

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 2

Mine is my Brunswich-Luneburg-Celle 1664 4 Thaler. My number 2 is several thousand dollars less than this. 

image.jpeg.2e4e6299b2203cf179784562b5722b87.jpeg

Solver for 4 talers 1664 LW, Clausthal. Yield from the Harz mines. 
Christian Ludwig, 1648-1665

Obverse: Hand of clouds wreaths a horse over a mining landscape with miners and two gullets, outline of the pit below 
Reversed: Crowned monogram from CL, framed by two laurel branches, surrounded by fourteen coats of arms. With value stamp. 

Mint master Lippold Wefer

Weight: 111.5grams
Diameter: 72mm 

Welter 1495, Davenport 187, Müseler Supplement 10.4.1/63 a, Duve 12 AI.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 2

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Mine is my Brunswich-Luneburg-Celle 1664 4 Thaler. My number 2 is several thousand dollars less than this. 

image.jpeg.2e4e6299b2203cf179784562b5722b87.jpeg

Solver for 4 talers 1664 LW, Clausthal. Yield from the Harz mines. 
Christian Ludwig, 1648-1665

Obverse: Hand of clouds wreaths a horse over a mining landscape with miners and two gullets, outline of the pit below 
Reversed: Crowned monogram from CL, framed by two laurel branches, surrounded by fourteen coats of arms. With value stamp. 

Mint master Lippold Wefer

Weight: 111.5grams
Diameter: 72mm 

Welter 1495, Davenport 187, Müseler Supplement 10.4.1/63 a, Duve 12 AI.

Breathtaking 😮!

The 3 thaler pictured below recently sold at CNG Feature Auction 127 for $3,981.25.

CNGFeatureAuction127lot781_2.jpg.0e9b1a8b87efd3fb47ec5c5e792609c6.jpg

Edited by Al Kowsky
  • Like 3

On 9/24/2024 at 4:55 PM, lordmarcovan said:

IMG_9284.jpeg.8b401363c2797cc7955d8ac2fd18102b.jpeg

This 1927 Saint-Gaudens double-eagle in PCGS MS66 is now my single most (monetarily) valuable coin, at least per the PCGS priceguide value.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/73263326

But in terms of my personal excitement, it’s not quite even in my Top Ten, although I’m plenty pleased to own it.

You see, I’m kind of jaded by Saints and Morgan dollars. You just see so many of them at shows. They’re both beautiful types, of course. (I also picked up a nice white NGC MS66+ 1880-S Morgan the day I bought this Saint.)

Perhaps one day I might swap this coin for something that interests me more- an ancient or early hammered World gold coin that appeals to me more historically- but in the meantime, I’m perfectly content to have this piece be my “blue chip” coin.

You can’t deny it’s aesthetically appealing.

Share your own MVC, if you feel like it.

IMG_9285.jpeg.460f1974465f724107bf38ebed8af52a.jpeg

I had Stack's & Bowers auction this double eagle for me recently, it fetched $3,150.00.

NGC288120-020CAC.jpg.1ee0aa53a4c85daeffa014b81c1e0190.jpg

• Like 4

Often collectors think that numismatic interest is inversely proportional to a coin's commonness, and that might be mostly true, but there are glaring exceptions. In my opinion, the "Saint" is one of the most numismatically interesting of US coins, if only for the reason that it's the only coin designed by one of America's truly great sculptors. The wiki pages on the coin and its creator are a good start for anyone wishing to go down the rabbit hole...

Augustus Saint Gaudens

Saint Gaudens Double Eagle

And if you'd like to go even further, I recommend the two following books which are readily available at low prices...

uncommonclay.jpg.79f9509e4d8bbc8e500cfcdba77d017f.jpgdoubleeagle.jpg.e26f33e0c8c8c43513e9b6fef9fae071.jpg

And a true aficionado of Saint Gaudens would want to visit his sculptures in real life. Take the Sherman Memorial on the corner of Central Park. The Liberty on the reverse of the double eagle is closely related to his vision of Victory...

sherman.jpg.be701d384b50f90a6fddf427db048ce1.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/25/2024 at 7:32 PM, lordmarcovan said:

Wow!  That one’s worth more than my decidedly “modern” US coin.  And with so much more history.

If you (or somebody else here) are interested, one will be up for auction in a little over two weeks: https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-1CZGO9/t-china-state-of-chu-warring-states-period-yuan-jin-gold-cube-money-nd-ca-475-221-bc-graded-80-by-hua-xia-coin-grading-c  

• Like 1