"Healthy" Greek prices at the Phillips/Oxford Noonans auction.

Deinomenid

12 hours ago, Brennos said:

And if the consignor is who I think he is (a well-known Belgian collector) beware of the hidden reserve prices, which must be very high.

The sale is phrased as if the consigner is deceased, would it be his estate setting a minimum?

9 hours ago, Merkil said:

This coin is just amazing

Agreed. I added that one “just for fun” as it seemed churlish not to 😀. I’d love to know why some (even just a few) spectacular coins like that weren’t removed for the collection of the beneficiary. Unless they were, I suppose…

• Benefactor
14 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

This is something particularly good about Noonans - they show you the price including the fee while bidding, so you can easily account for what is always - even at lower percentages - a significant amount of money.

I've probably bought more coins (ancient and British) and British & French historical medals from Noonans over the last five years than from any other auction house. Their areas of expertise happen to coincide nicely with my areas of interest! Also, they put out very nice printed catalogs, which they are happy to send you for free together with your purchases.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2024 at 7:03 PM, Brennos said:

And if the consignor is who I think he is (a well-known Belgian collector) beware of the hidden reserve prices, which must be very high.

There are a few oblique comments on this on the ancient coin podcast after he spoke with “someone” there,  plus a statement by the host that his main (?)  5 customers had all canceled their bids through him. No doubt that will mean others come in hoping for lower prices but it’s a good start…

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

There are a few oblique comments on this on the ancient coin podcast after he spoke with “someone” there,  plus a statement by the host that his main (?)  5 customers had all canceled their bids through him. No doubt that will mean others come in hoping for lower prices but it’s a good start…

Can you clarify what do you mean here, are you saying a lot of lots are unsold, even though these were sold during “live” bidding?

45 minutes ago, El Cazador said:

Can you clarify what do you mean here

We were  discussing in that part the  upcoming  Nomos 28% bp sale. That podcast was claiming that a bunch of clients  have pulled their orders when they realized the commission rate was so appalling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

We were  discussing in that part the  upcoming  Nomos 28% bp sale. That podcast was claiming that a bunch of clients  have pulled their orders when they realized the commission rate was so appalling.

Ah, yes not only commission but also absurd starting prices 

• Like 1