An A-Pi Denarii Duel (Which of my examples do you like best?)

Curtisimo

Which do you like better?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better?

• 1 Temple of Divus Augustus
    • 2 Purple Pius

I’ve been putting together some digital trays of a few sub-collections I have been working on recently. This exercise has forced me to consider which of my coins is my current representative example for that sub-collection (in this case my Nerva-Antonine Collection). These two A-Pi denarii are close enough in my estimation that I had to think about it. That made me curious as to how the board might rank them.

1 Temple of Divus Augustus
This coin shows the Temple of Divus Augustus that was built after his death on the site of his boyhood home. Caligula is said to have finished the temple and also to have erected a bridge over it between the Palatine and Capitoline hills. This coin commemorates Antoninus Pius’s restoration of the temple during his reign. It is an interesting architecture type from an emperor who did not have all that many interesting types. It has nice toning.

Ant_Pius_Den_Temple_Aug_2L.jpeg.ff82182868b2fd782c78025a2cf07aa4.jpeg
Roman Empire
Antoninus Pius 138-161. 
AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 158-159 
(3.32 g, 17mm)
Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XXII. Laureate bust to the right. 
Rev.: AED DIVI AVG REST, in section COS IIII. Octastyle temple (Temple of Divus Augustus) with the statues of Divus Augustus and Livia. 
Ref.: RIC 284
Ex ROMA ÆTERNA Collection (chinamul), coin posted on numismatikforum in 2009, Gut-Lynt Auction 13 Part II, lot 1583 (October 1, 2023)

2 Pretty Purple Pius
I’ve had this coin for many years and I’ve always really liked it. The reverse type is not as interesting as coin no. 1 but the eye appeal in hand is pretty great. The portrait is better in my opinion and it has a wonderful purple color. In hand it takes the eye appeal category for sure.

Antoninus_Pius.jpeg.b01dc6a19a430f10ef582fb06eb75179.jpeg
Roman Empire
Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161
AR Denarius, Rome mint, Struck ca. AD 140-143
Wt.: 3.01 g
Dia.: 17 mm, 6h
Obv.: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III; Laureate head right
Rev.: AEQVITAS AVG; Aequitas standing left, holding scales and sceptre
Ref.: RIC III 61; RSC 14
Ex CNG E-auction 394, lot 478 (March 29, 2017)

So what do you think? Which do you like better? I’d love to hear your opinions.

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Party 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Thinking 1

Tough call! They are both nice coins. I think, though, that I'd go for No. 2. Not only does it have that great portrait and toning, but the flan quality is a bit better and it's also higher grade.

• Like 2

Super tough call, Curtis!  The temple type juuuuust edges out the Aequitas for me, primarily because I'm more attuned to interesting reverses/story coins.   Also a sucker for great toning though, which made it a closer call 😀.

• Like 3

This is really interesting. I love that the votes are currently at a deadlock. Like I said, I have these coins ranked about neck and neck in terms of which I like best. I enjoy hearing the opinions of other collectors on things like this. There are a lot of collectors who I admire that have posted their opinion so far. Thank you all. Great fun!

I think it would be interesting to see more threads like this where people post two coins from their collection that they consider close in desirability and see how the board votes. 

• Thinking 1

The temple, without blinking. 

Of course I like the purple one, with great toning and nice details (although the weak strike on the face of Aequitas is a little distracting)

But the temple denarius has an interesting, non generic reverse plus a historical importance. 

Here is my sestertius version 

image.png.44351b5d51e28b25a1909bf4551d2a25.png

This temple was restored by Pius in 158. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ominus1 said:

..i'd say get both then you won't have to make a choice ...or flip a coin  😛

🙂 

Just to clarify. I own both coins. I am just having a little fun while trying to decide which will be my representative example in my Nerva-Antonine sub collection. 🙂 

• Popcorn 1

• Curtisimo changed the title to An A-Pi Denarii Duel (Which of my examples do you like best?)

I'm a historical-coin type of guy. After you've got one really good portrait of an emperor, the reverses take on more interest. For me, the temple is more important. I voted for the temple. Here's my A.P temple with a different legend:

image.jpeg.812f278dc0f6f485aeab0bd08becd8d0.jpeg

17 mm. 3.45 grams.
TEMPLVM DIV AVG REST
Struck 158-9. 
RIC 290a "Scarce" page 260. BMC 939, page 140, plate 20.6.
Ex Fred Shore, "The Parthian" fixed-price list 2, 1984, lot 72. Also ex PMV late Summer 1982 list, lot 27. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

🙂 

Just to clarify. I own both coins. I am just having a little fun while trying to decide which will be my representative example in my Nerva-Antonine sub collection. 🙂 

...haha!   i've never seen my advice preempted so....^^

• Like 1

Hi @Curtisimo, nice topic! Well, for your purpose of the digital tray this must be the Purple Pius, because it's the most eye appealing, readable legends, etc. However the temple type has the best story to tell. So, it depends for which purpose exactly you want to use it. Is it for yourself, to look at your great coins, than it's mr. Purple, if you want to show and tell stories to others it's the temple one. 

This is the way.

• Like 1