Is this an Elymais AE drachm of Orodes IV?

robinjojo

• Benefactor

Zurqieh had some group lots of these coins available a couple of weeks ago, so I picked up one consisting of 20 AE drachms.  Since I really don't concentrate on Elymais coinage, I figured this was an easy way to pick up an assortment at $5 per coin.  All are in "as found" condition.  I soaked them in distilled water briefly and I didn't see any signs of the earthen patina dissolving, which in my experience happens with artificial earthen patina, so my guess is that the patina came with the coins when the hoard was unearthed.  

Almost all of the drachms are easy to identify, but here's one that is somewhat more of a challenge, at least for me.  I actually picked the lot because of this coin.  Is this a coin of Orodes IV?  From what I've seen online I think there is a pretty good chance that it is.

Elymais, Orodes IV., AE drachm, second half of 2nd century AD.

14mm; 2.33 grams

D-CameraElymaisOrodesIV.AEdrachmsecondhalfof2ndcenAD14mm2.33g9-28-24.jpg.7f17d74f06983ea2f699ed086eae889f.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 5

Not easy, but Van't Haaff describes a large tuft of hair on the top and side of the head for Orodes IV. On your coin I can see the tuft of hair on the top of the head, but on the side of the head there is only a band, as it is common on Orodes V examples..

Therefore it might bei Orodes V. Here is my Orodes V:

normal_SA028_fac.jpg.ee4a6f0f9ee52d41e8e955923c6a5cef.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Orodes V
Late 2nd-Early 3rd Cent
Æ Drachm
Obv.: Bust to left, no legend, no anchor
Rev.: Bust of Artemis left, wearing tiara, anchor behind
Æ, 3.1g
Ref.: Van´t Haaff Type 18.1, Subtype 1-2B

This is an example of Orodes IV with the side hair tuft:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5863903

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 4

Vant Haaff Type 18.1 1-2B looks closest to me - I think I can see something that might be an aramaic legend behind the king's bust??? Orodes V. Late 2nd - Early 3rd Century AD. Æ Drachm. Diademed bust of Orodes facing / Bust of Artemis left wearing tiara with crest of dots; anchor behind.

image.png.dcd13399f85d01e43c60c1fcf06cfc17.png

Here's an Orodes III I don't have either IV or V.

OrodesIIIArtemis.jpg.1e74802f70a49fdd30cd6876d58d2c0c.jpg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
25 minutes ago, shanxi said:

Not easy, but Van't Haaff describes a large tuft of hair on the top and side of the head for Orodes IV. On your coin I can see the tuft of hair on the top of the head, but on the side of the head there is only a band, as it is common on Orodes V examples..

Therefore it might bei Orodes V. Here is my Orodes V:

normal_SA028_fac.jpg.ee4a6f0f9ee52d41e8e955923c6a5cef.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Orodes V
Late 2nd-Early 3rd Cent
Æ Drachm
Obv.: Bust to left, no legend, no anchor
Rev.: Bust of Artemis left, wearing tiara, anchor behind
Æ, 3.1g
Ref.: Van´t Haaff Type 18.1, Subtype 1-2B

This is an example of Orodes IV with the side hair tuft:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5863903

Thanks!  I agree that the OP coin very similar to your example, so I will change the ruler to Orodes V.  

9 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Vant Haaff Type 18.1 1-2B looks closest to me - I think I can see something that might be an aramaic legend behind the king's bust??? Orodes V. Late 2nd - Early 3rd Century AD. Æ Drachm. Diademed bust of Orodes facing / Bust of Artemis left wearing tiara with crest of dots; anchor behind.

image.png.dcd13399f85d01e43c60c1fcf06cfc17.png

Here's an Orodes III I don't have either IV or V.

OrodesIIIArtemis.jpg.1e74802f70a49fdd30cd6876d58d2c0c.jpg

Thank you!  I will add the Vant Haalff catalog number to the coin's description. 

I really appreciate all of your assistance in identifying what is an obscure coin to me.

• Like 2