Attractive silver dirham of Saladin's younger brother

Parthicus

image.jpeg.8065c02a715007e567bc25dd54f44895.jpeg

Ayyubids.  Damascus mint.  AR dirham.  Al-'Adil Abu Bakr I (emir of Damascus 1196-1218, sultan of Egypt 1200-1218), dated 60x AH (date partially off flan).  Obverse: Inscription within ornate hexafoil, additional inscription along edges.  Reverse: Inscription within ornate hexafoil, additional inscription at edges.  Album 803.  This coin: Frank S. Robinson Sale 125, lot 356 (August 1, 2024).

Al-Malik Al-'Adil Sauf Ad-DIn Abu-Bakr Ahmed ibn Najm Ad-Din Ayyub was born in 1145, a younger brother of the famous Salah Ad-Din Yusuf Ayyub (Saladin), who founded the Ayyubid dynasty and was a major foe of the Crusaders.  Al-'Adil held a number of positions in the Ayyubid power structure, including both military leadership and general government positions.  Saladin died in 1193, having declared his son Al-Afdal Ali as sole ruler, but some other family members refused to accept Al-Afdal's supremacy, leading to a prolonged series of disputes in which All-'Adil was often the peacemaker.  From his power base in Damascus, Al'Adil was eventually able to take sole control of the Ayyubid territories, proclaiming himself sultan of Egypt in 1200.  Al-'Adil's reign was generally a quiet one, as he maintained good relations with the Crusader States and encouraged trade with Europe.  He mainly focused on consolidating Ayyubid rule and did not launch any major attempts to expand territory, though he did take some former Zangid lands in northern Iraq and southern Anatolia.  In 1217 the armies of the Fifth Crusade landed at Acre, and Al-'Adil took to the field against them, but without much success.  He died in 1218 and was succeeded by his son Malik Al-Kamil.

This coin type, with its ornate design, was struck in large numbers and was also heavily imitated by the Crusader States.  Many of the imitations are of good quality, with fully legible calligraphy; some can only be distinguished because they bear dates after the death of Al-'Adil.  This example however does seem to be a true Ayyubid issue.  I was quite happy to win it for just $32.  Please post your coins of Al'Adil, or whatever else is related.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Parthicus said:

image.jpeg.8065c02a715007e567bc25dd54f44895.jpeg

Ayyubids.  Damascus mint.  AR dirham.  Al-'Adil Abu Bakr I (emir of Damascus 1196-1218, sultan of Egypt 1200-1218), dated 60x AH (date partially off flan).  Obverse: Inscription within ornate hexafoil, additional inscription along edges.  Reverse: Inscription within ornate hexafoil, additional inscription at edges.  Album 803.  This coin: Frank S. Robinson Sale 125, lot 356 (August 1, 2024).

Al-Malik Al-'Adil Sauf Ad-DIn Abu-Bakr Ahmed ibn Najm Ad-Din Ayyub was born in 1145, a younger brother of the famous Salah Ad-Din Yusuf Ayyub (Saladin), who founded the Ayyubid dynasty and was a major foe of the Crusaders.  Al-'Adil held a number of positions in the Ayyubid power structure, including both military leadership and general government positions.  Saladin died in 1193, having declared his son Al-Afdal Ali as sole ruler, but some other family members refused to accept Al-Afdal's supremacy, leading to a prolonged series of disputes in which All-'Adil was often the peacemaker.  From his power base in Damascus, Al'Adil was eventually able to take sole control of the Ayyubid territories, proclaiming himself sultan of Egypt in 1200.  Al-'Adil's reign was generally a quiet one, as he maintained good relations with the Crusader States and encouraged trade with Europe.  He mainly focused on consolidating Ayyubid rule and did not launch any major attempts to expand territory, though he did take some former Zangid lands in northern Iraq and southern Anatolia.  In 1217 the armies of the Fifth Crusade landed at Acre, and Al-'Adil took to the field against them, but without much success.  He died in 1218 and was succeeded by his son Malik Al-Kamil.

This coin type, with its ornate design, was struck in large numbers and was also heavily imitated by the Crusader States.  Many of the imitations are of good quality, with fully legible calligraphy; some can only be distinguished because they bear dates after the death of Al-'Adil.  This example however does seem to be a true Ayyubid issue.  I was quite happy to win it for just $32.  Please post your coins of Al'Adil, or whatever else is related.

I find my medieval Islamic coin collection is often a collection of coins that most people would find unbearably ugly - your coin is certainly an exception!  Although I have obverse and reverse swapped in my photo- here is another of the OP coin ( 21 mm, 3.3 grams) I am curious to compare with the weight/diameter of your coin!  I don't know if my coin is Ayyubid or well executed imitation.al-AdilISayfal-DinAhmad1203-18.jpg.ff6f0b7687349bf0cfdf5bebef05e9bb.jpg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 6

There are two variations of Album 803, the one you posted and this rare one with central annulets on both sides:

Ayyubids: al-‘Ādil Abū Bakr I (592-615 AH) AR Dirham, Dimashq, 608 AH (Album 803.2; Balog 296)

Obv: Arabic inscription in field with annulet center, enclosed by festooned double trefoil, enclosed by Arabic inscription anti-clockwise in segments, all enclosed by pointillate circle
Obv Inner Inscription: الدين / الملك العادل / ابو بكر بن ايوب / سيف ; al-Dīn the King al-‘Ādil Abū Bakr b. Ayyūb Sayf
Obv Segment Inscription: ضرب / بد / مشق / سنة / ثمان و / ستمائة ; struck in Dimashq (in) the year 608
Rev: Arabic inscription in field with annulet center, enclosed by festooned double trefoil, enclosed by Arabic inscription anti-clockwise in segments, all enclosed by pointillate circle
Rev Inner Inscription: المؤ / الامام النصر / لدين الله امير / منين ; The Imam al-Nāṣir li-Dīn Allāh, commander of the believers
Rev Segment Inscription: لا اله / الا / الله / محمد / رسول / الله ; There is no god but God, Muḥammad is the messenger of God

Ayyubids: al-‘Ādil Abū Bakr I (592-615 AH) AR Dirham, Dimashq, 608 AH (Album 803.2; Balog 296) Obv: Arabic inscription in field with annulet center, enclosed by festooned double trefoil, enclosed by Arabic inscription anti-clockwise in segments, all enclosed by pointillate circle Obv Inner Inscription: الدين / الملك العادل / ابو بكر بن ايوب / سيف ; al-Dīn the King al-‘Ādil Abū Bakr b. Ayyūb Sayf Obv Segment Inscription: ضرب / بد / مشق / سنة / ثمان و / ستمائة ; struck in Dimashq (in) the year 608  Rev: Arabic inscription in field with annulet center, enclosed by festooned double trefoil, enclosed by Arabic inscription anti-clockwise in segments, all enclosed by pointillate circle Rev Inner Inscription: المؤ / الامام النصر / لدين الله امير / منين ; The Imam al-Nāṣir li-Dīn Allāh, commander of the believers Rev Segment Inscription: لا اله / الا / الله / محمد / رسول / الله ; There is no god but God, Muḥammad is the messenger of God  Dim: 3.00g

Another rare type is this ½ Dirham from the same ruler that was minted in Hims:

Ayyubids: al-‘Ādil Abū Bakr I (592-615 AH) AR ½ Dirham, Hims (Album B806)

Ayyubids: Abu Bakr I (1196-1218) AR � dirham (Album-B806)

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 4