Would like some opinions on a lysimachos tetradrachm

CassiusMarcus

Hi all,

Just curious what you think would cause these little 'cuts' around the edge here? I am not even quite sure what to call them actually. 

As I have not seen this before, it does not appear to be flow lines to me. (Could be wrong)

Let me know what you think / any cause for concern 

Thanks, hope everyone is having a great weekend! 

image0111111111112.jpg

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Looks a lot like cleaning marks. 

I agree that they don't look like flow lines, those would be a positive feature above the surface of the coin and these appear to be scratches cut into the face of the coin. 

I don't think I've ever seen that before either.

John

• Like 1

Those lines seem strange to me. They don't look like cleaning marks, because they are too deep, and too regular. I searched ACsearch as follows : lysimachos tetradrachm

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=lysimachos+tetradrachm&category=1-2&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0 

I looked at the first 300 examples. I didn't see any examples, which had such lines. The lines look sort of like, they have been carved, after the coin was minted. Why anyone would do that, I don't know.

You can look at more of the examples, but you have to register with your email address, to see the large, high resolution photos.

Can you post a photo of the reverse, and the maximum diameter of the coin, and the weight of the coin?

I don't have much knowledge, of Lysimachos tetradrachms. But, there are other Nvmis Forvms members, who have plenty of knowledge of Lysimachos tetradrachms. Perhaps those Nvmis Forvms members will see this thread, and provide their thoughts. It may take a few days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sand said:

Those lines seem strange to me. They don't look like cleaning marks, because they are too deep, and too regular. I searched ACsearch as follows : lysimachos tetradrachm

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=lysimachos+tetradrachm&category=1-2&lot=&date_from=&date_to=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=0 

I looked at the first 300 examples. I didn't see any examples, which had such lines. The lines look sort of like, they have been carved, after the coin was minted. Why anyone would do that, I don't know.

You can look at more of the examples, but you have to register with your email address, to see the large, high resolution photos.

Can you post a photo of the reverse, and the maximum diameter of the coin, and the weight of the coin?

I don't have much knowledge, of Lysimachos tetradrachms. But, there are other Nvmis Forvms members, who have plenty of knowledge of Lysimachos tetradrachms. Perhaps those Nvmis Forvms members will see this thread, and provide their thoughts. It may take a few days.

Thank you very much for the response! 

I will just link to the LOT for others, but here is an image as well. https://leunumismatik.com/en/lot/53/54

KINGS OF THRACE. Lysimachos, 305-281 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 31 mm, 17.36 g, 12 h), Lampsakos, circa  

LEU has to say about this is as follows: 
*An interesting detail about this coin is that the beaded border on the obverse creates the illusion of a radiate border, similar to the incuse coins from Magna Graecia of the 6th and early 5th centuries BC.*

But I agree, if it was done in ancient times, why would a mint worker or a soldier, or anyone for that matter bother doing something like that? As it does not seem natural to occur during the strike. And if it was, then I have never seen such a thing before as mentioned earlier. 

I look forward to other Lysimachos enthusiasts to weigh in on what may have happened here. FWIW I do believe the coin is genuine. 

6094983_1726557876.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPK said:

I think it's a striking anomaly, not carving or engraving done afterwards. I've seen that sort of smeared border before on ancients, although admittedly not quite that extreme.

Yes. That may be. Now that I look at the coin more carefully, especially in the larger photo in @CassiusMarcus's 2nd post, I see your point. Where dots are present, the lines seem to be perfectly aligned with the edges of the dots, too perfectly to have been carved by hand. Perhaps the enormous pressure exerted on the (possibly hot) metal, when the flan was struck between the dies, combined with the holes in the obverse die where the dots were supposed to be, caused these lines, similar to flow lines.

Edited by sand

• Benefactor

The lines directly under the portrait look cut into the coin after it was struck. Look how sharp the edges of the cuts are, don't see how marks like that could have been struck. Remember, to make indented marks on the face of the coin the rest of the field would have to be planed down so the marks would protrude from the face of the die. That would be a lot of work when preparing the die.

John

Edited by Theodosius
Tried to clarify wording

Numismatics

ANCIENT COIN CERTIFICATION SERVICE
The DAVID R. SEAR ANCIENT COIN CERTIFICATION SERVICE (ACCS) provides an authoritative aid to collectors and dealers who are seeking both a valid attribution of their coins and confirmation of authenticity. It offers a level of expertise unrivaled by any other grading and certification service in the world. The Certificates will provide you with a comprehensive record of your collection and may be invaluable for insurance purposes in case of theft.

Submitted coins will receive expert examination to verify authenticity; a full description with references to the standard works on the series; a digital color photograph to confirm identity of the piece; and, in the case of the DETAILED FORMAT, a comprehensive individual assessment of the coin's historical significance. All of this information, together with the photograph, are presented on an attractive 81/2 X 11 Certificate of Authenticity which is protected from damage and alteration by high quality heavy lamination. Each Certificate bears the signature of David R. Sear and has its own serial number.

Google David Sear Authentication Coins !