Another four coins coloured! Which one is your favourite among these? :)

Yes, I like purple 🙂 (It's supposed to be that purple sky just around sunset, but maybe it's too much!)

Coloredgroup.jpg.e7d2c00144b2c89b588c25a2b75b1cd6.jpg

Which one do you like the most among these? 🙂

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

FUN FACT: I couldn't understand what were those fins on the dolphin, since dolphins, well... don't have them! And by digging I found out that dolphins were usually depicted like these aggressive creatures Eros used to ride, as shown in contemporary mosaics: 

Roman Mosaic - close up of Eros riding a dolphin. The Oceanos & Tethys  Mosaic, fom The House of Oceanos, Zeugma. 2nd - 3rd century AD. Zeugma  Mosaic Stock Photo - Alamy

Eros riding on a dolphins. Delos, House of the Dolphins

Quite interesting if you ask me, so I tried to recreate that look as closely as possible 🙂 Same thing with the anchor:

Dolphin and anchor hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

Edited by AncientCoinnoisseur
Dolphins :)
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

@expat I spent way longer than I care to admit to try and make the veil semi-transparent. I debated a lot on whether I should have kept the backgrounds grey, but many subjects like the elephant, the dolphin, the temple, etc… being grey themselves would just blend with the background, so I made them pop a bit. It was required in these cases I think!

I’ve been enjoying these colorization threads. Very interesting and creative. My favorite is the top left. The figures really stand out and the colorization highlights details of the coin (very nice coin btw). I especially like how you used details from an actual crater to colorize the tiny crater (is it Herakles fighting the hydra, correct?).

Very cool!

• Heart 1

@Curtisimo Thanks! You should be correct, although the top left is the oldest of the 4 and I don’t remember which one I used specifically!  

Yes, in my older colourisations (with the exception of the Euboia tetrobol) I never colorised the background. I should try without it, but the grey subjects just blend too much with the coin, so I don’t know what’s best. Seeing them all together, the top left is the ‘most delicate’ among the four and still keeps the coin’s identity intact, while the others, especially the ones on the right, are a bit too strong, so I should probably keep different versions, with and without the coloured background! The sea behind the dolphin and anchor is too cool though 🙂

• Like 1

This is great!
I like the elephant coin from Caesar the most. Do you color the coins via the computer by hand? Or is this done via AI? I can imagine this could be an option already!

I like this done on a coin I'm writing an article about (from Germany, county Kleve). 🙂

screenshot_6104.png

Edited by Coinmaster
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1