Colosseum sestertius up for auction soon, questionable shape

Hi everyone,

This „Colosseum“ sestertius will be hammered soon and I‘m asking myself how anyone could be sure that it‘s really a colosseum type. Wouldn‘t it be quite easy to make it look like this? I get why someone would bid on it, but still. Last time it was auctioned, it was in a group lot, sold for around 250€.

what do you think?

IMG_7841.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Thinking 3

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

Hi everyone,

This „Colosseum“ sestertius will be hammered soon and I‘m asking myself how anyone could be sure that it‘s really a colosseum type. Wouldn‘t it be quite easy to make it look like this? I get why someone would bid on it, but still. Last time it was auctioned, it was in a group lot, sold for around 250€.

what do you think?

IMG_7841.jpeg

What's the estimate?

6 hours ago, David Atherton said:

FWIW, the piece looks genuine to me, not a whole cloth fabrication. Additionally, it cannot be fully attributed because of the extreme wear (either struck under Titus or for Divus Titus under Domitian).

But how can you be sure? It's a honest question, I'm curious😅 I'm with Nero here, the inside of the coin seems to be dug into.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

Just curious: if you could purchase this coin at an agreeable price, would you?  Why or why not?

No. Why? Well, I would have doubts all the time, even if only about the shape and always asking myself "Was it really needed?" I'd prefer to spend 5k, if I really wanted this type. The shape would still be bad, but recognizable. But I don't need this type, so even more "NOPE".

1 hour ago, idesofmarch01 said:

Just curious: if you could purchase this coin at an agreeable price, would you?  Why or why not?

No, because the coin wouldn’t fit into my collection since I collect silver coins.

But would I purchase it if it would fit into my collection?

Also no. My rule of thumb is that any coin I buy must be able to stand on its own. If I would need an image of another coin to explain to a non-collector what is depicted, I wouldn’t buy it.

However, if someone can purchase it for the estimated 750€, I would still think it’s a great buy. I understand that not everyone follows the same collecting principles.

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 2

The top of the 'Colosseum' must have been tooled to be that sharp when everything else has gone. The rim has had something done to it and the flan is now very tight to fit the design onto it. I'm struggling to find any feature that you could say was definitely original to identify the coin.

It may be a respected dealer, but "gut erhalten" (well-preserved)? I'd struggle to find a less well-preserved coin.

While fakes are withdrawn, some of these tooled coins are essentially fakes but still get sold.

This got sold. Again.

Paul-Francis Jacquier > Auction 53, 13 September 2024. Lot number: 77. Price realized: 11,500 EUR

image00077.jpg

• Like 4
  • Cry 1

40 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

The top of the 'Colosseum' must have been tooled to be that sharp when everything else has gone. The rim has had something done to it and the flan is now very tight to fit the design onto it. I'm struggling to find any feature that you could say was definitely original to identify the coin.

It may be a respected dealer, but "gut erhalten" (well-preserved)? I'd struggle to find a less well-preserved coin.

While fakes are withdrawn, some of these tooled coins are essentially fakes but still get sold.

This got sold. Again.

Paul-Francis Jacquier > Auction 53, 13 September 2024. Lot number: 77. Price realized: 11,500 EUR

image00077.jpg

Gut erhalten doesnt really mean "well preserved". It is a techical grade and its equivalent in US grading system would be "good" which also doesnt mean the coin is good. Its a coin where some outlines are recognizable but no details whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Yes 1

1 hour ago, Meander said:

Gut erhalten doesnt really mean "well preserved". It is a techical grade and its equivalent in US grading system would be "good" which also doesnt mean the coin is good. Its a coin where some outlines are recognizable but no details whatsoever.

I'm glad the Germans have similarly crazy grades as the English 🤣 Like a 'regular' drink is the smallest.

It's not even true either, if it is like Sheldon good:

"Rims of the coin are slightly worn, design is visible, but faint in areas, with many parts of the coin worn flat. Peripheral lettering nearly full."

Edited by John Conduitt

In the very very old days it really meant "well preserved". But this was the usual condition, could there be anything better?
Condition was of secondary importance - if at all. Poor coins were melted as they showed no aesthetics.
You hardly see it nowadays, usually resolved to "gering erhalten" = "lowly preserved".

And now to something different - who dares to name a final price
Regards
Klaus

• Like 3