Colosseum sestertius up for auction soon, questionable shape

On 10/7/2024 at 7:26 AM, Mucius Scaevola said:

But how can you be sure? It's a honest question, I'm curious😅 I'm with Nero here, the inside of the coin seems to be dug into.

I've studied these pieces extensively and that coin's appearance is consistent with other worn examples. No red flags.

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 1

Very nice.  About 6 weeks ago I bid on one of these but was too conservative {read cheap}, so I didn't win it.  I bid on the double sestersius-sized medallion struck under Gordian III.  Colosseum coins get expensive real quickly for any increase in quality.  I recall someone else buying a sestersius not much better than the one you've pictured from HJB for a fixed price of around $10K.  This was on CT. I can find the picture and writeup if you're interested.

Now your coin can be compared to known Speciemens and you should be able to determine genuineness and the Emperor. Also XRF should be able to provide a metallurgy, linking it with higher grade Colosseum sestersii. 

• Benefactor

Well, to throw in my two sestertii worth of opinion, I think the coin is legit. 

The low weight is most likely due primarily to corrosion.  I think the coin was poorly struck to begin with, possibly on a lighter flan.  The patina was very thick (and still is).  The coin was obviously smoothed, of course.  The absence of any portrait could be due to a combination of weak strike and extensive corrosion and thick patina, leaving indistinct features.

The seller is a very well established auction house in Germany, so I would be inclined to trust their judgement.

It is a very low grade example but one that might attract some bids from collectors looking for a "bargain".

• Like 1