The Cheapest Caesar You’d Like to Keep Game

Salomons Cat

I’ve just invented a little game for myself: I search auction databases for ‘Julius Caesar Macer’ and scroll through listings from the cheapest upwards until I find a denarius I’d like to add to my collection—one that I wouldn’t feel the need to upgrade in the future.

I should mention that I’m very picky when I have the chance to be. The first specimen I considered was this one:

IMG_0699.jpeg.675a362f9d027e5d3dc141eaf5c39dd2.jpeg

According to acsearch, 1400€ was equal to $1,727. After using an inflation calculator, I found that this would be equivalent to $2,168.50 today.

My other option would be even more expensive now, as it sold for $1,500 in 2011, which is $2,420.77 in today’s terms:

IMG_0697.jpeg.bc6bad3bf7d0f0f26b0ce15a51fa17a7.jpeg

Finally, I found a coin that was sold very recently and turned out to be the most affordable of my favourites:

IMG_0701.jpeg.7f73b5d61602022bc7aeb2542d13e7c3.jpeg

1,600 CHF equals $1,892. 

What do you think—do we underestimate the impact of inflation? It would be great if someone else played this game with me, as I’m really curious about the results 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

I'm afraid the bar for me is rather low, at least for Julius Caesar! 😉 Since I already own a specimen, and it was about all I could possibly afford, it'll give you some idea of what I consider minimum quality for his coins.

JuliusCaesardenariuslifetime.jpg.e75be308ee3153e0c615c8ac3e62c97c.jpg

JULIUS CAESAR, 49-44 BC
AR Denarius (18.91mm, 3.53g, 12h)
Struck late February to early March, 44 BC. Rome mint
Obverse: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO, wreathed head of Julius Caesar right
Reverse: L·BVCA, fasces and winged caduceus in saltire; axe, clasped hands, and globe in three quarters
References: RRC 480/6, RCV 1409
Toned. A scarce, late-lifetime portrait denarius of Julius Caesar. Caesar received the title of Dictator Perpetuo (Dictator for Life) in February of 44 BC; this coin would have been struck mere weeks before his assassination on the ides of March that same year.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Yes 1

My portrait denarius of Casear+Antony cost me pretty much the same as what it was sold for on Savoca, not counting inflation. I am happy with this coin and see no reason to spend so much for an upgrade yet. 

www.jpg.26fb6cb4b3d91ae1d6a7db2b5a0caabd.jpg

Obv: M. ANTON. IMP. R. P. C., (Marcus Antonius Imperator Rei Publicae Constituandae)
[Imperator for] the Restoration of the Government), bare head of Mark Antony right; lituus behind.

Rev: CAESAR DIC, (Caesar Dictator), bare head of Julius Caesar right; capis behind.

43 BC. (18 mm, 3.55 g, 10h). Military mint traveling with Antony in Cisalpine Gaul.

Crawford 488/2; CRI 123; Sydenham 1166; RSC 3.

Ex Savoca 98th Blue Auction, Lot 1092, (March 2021).

About three years ago, I came across a Julius Caesar denarius on Zumbly's shop. I have seen that particular coin on Cointalk posted by Orfew. If I had the budget for it at the time, I definitely would have bought it, and it would have been the most expensive coin in my collection back then. I really like the young looking Caesar on this one. 

ZBPwKV6.png.7527d11cf0d666bd2061272a427bdb36.png

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

@CPK, I really like your Julius Caesar denarius. It’s well-centred, you can clearly read ‘Caesar,’ recognise the portrait, and even ‘Dict perpetvo’ is visible. In my opinion, this is unquestionably above average for a JC denarius. I don’t think it’s a low bar at all. After looking at quite a few recently, I certainly wouldn’t apply the same criteria to JC denarii as I would to, say, a denarius of Hadrian or most other Roman emperors. I genuinely believe you have a very attractive specimen.

@JayAg47, with the portrait and the inscription ‘CAESAR DIC,’ the essentials are all there, and it’s easy to see why you’re happy with it. 🙂

But actually, I’m just curious about your choices and didn’t mean to judge them. I only felt the urge to defend @CPK’s JC denarius after he criticised it so harshly.

Edited by Salomons Cat
Formatting doesn’t work; possibly because I’m on my mobile phone
  • Like 3

I have almost no lower limit to quality when collecting rulers. As long as you can work out who it is. That's not to say I don't want nice examples but I'm happy to have a gap filler. It helps me take my time over any upgrade.

I only collect rulers who controlled Britain, so Julius Caesar doesn't even count. But I got one anyway, since he gave it a go.

Julius Caesar Denarius, Moneyer Lucius Aemilius Buca, January-February 44BC
image.png.a3080a946f23ecfaeb85de39c17f20e6.png
Rome. Silver, 20mm, 3.24g. Wreathed head of Caesar right, crescent behind; CAESAR IM [P M]. Venus standing left holding Victory in right and sceptre in left; L AEMILIVS behind; BVCA before (Crawford 480/4). From the Helmingham Hoard 2019 (Ghey 297; SF 544, Portable Antiquities Scheme SF-8C645E).

• Like 5

Lucky those who can snag a decent julius Caesar denarius for less than 2000 $ I guess

One cheaper way can be following the Provincial route with a Vienna dupondius

b51a449a58f847e4b28e8979bbaefd50.jpg

JULIUS CAESAR and OCTAVIAN – Dupondius, Vienna (Gaul), ca. 36 BCE
•IMP• [DIVI•IVL•CAESAR•DIVI•]F bare headed portraits of Julius Caesar to left and Octavian to right
C•I•V Prow of galley to right, surmounted by superstructure and mast (CIV for Colonia Ivlia Viennensis)
31 mm – 16,67 gr - 12 h
Ref : RPC # 517, SNG Copenhagen # 703-4

Q

• Like 6

Well, I think I’d share how I got the idea for this thread. This is a photo I took four days ago in front of the post office, when I looked at my new coin for the first time: 

IMG_0685.jpeg.523c44948c522503d53c23f99d836102.jpeg

Usually, before an auction, I add coins to my watchlist and set a limit for how much I’m willing to bid. But this time was different. The coin wasn’t on my watchlist; it just appeared, and the bidding stopped at 1,400 CHF. On impulse, I placed a bid and won it.

I don’t think I’ve ever done anything so crazy in an auction—bidding such a high amount after just milliseconds of thought. I was quite shocked at myself. I really wouldn’t recommend such spontaneous purchases; it could easily go horribly wrong. And I don’t think I’lll ever do anything like that again.

So, it’s likely that I was quite biased when searching for the ‘cheapest’ Julius Caesar that I’d want to keep 😄

Edited by Salomons Cat
By the way, this is actually my most expensive coin, considering the fees 😂
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Yes 1

This was certainly an strange way to introduce my new JC denarius, so I’m not surprised there’s been almost no reaction 😄

But I’m really, really happy with this coin, and it’s probably the one I look at most often right now. The portrait looks amazing from every angle and in any light, with a nice gunmetal/golden toning.

I’ll write more about Julius Caesar when I have more time.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2024 at 7:55 PM, Salomons Cat said:

Well, I think I’d share how I got the idea for this thread. This is a photo I took four days ago in front of the post office, when I looked at my new coin for the first time: 

IMG_0685.jpeg.523c44948c522503d53c23f99d836102.jpeg

Usually, before an auction, I add coins to my watchlist and set a limit for how much I’m willing to bid. But this time was different. The coin wasn’t on my watchlist; it just appeared, and the bidding stopped at 1,400 CHF. On impulse, I placed a bid and won it.

I don’t think I’ve ever done anything so crazy in an auction—bidding such a high amount after just milliseconds of thought. I was quite shocked at myself. I really wouldn’t recommend such spontaneous purchases; it could easily go horribly wrong. And I don’t think I’lll ever do anything like that again.

So, it’s likely that I was quite biased when searching for the ‘cheapest’ Julius Caesar that I’d want to keep 😄

It's a great coin. I've done this before. Usually, it's when I've done research on the type but haven't put the coin on my watch list. Then it appears at an unexpectedly low price - had I known, I might've considered it more carefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1