Why the high price?

Valentinian

• Benefactor

This coin is not in RIC for this combination of workshop letters. It has ΔE versus the normal Θ for workshop 9. Sometimes ΔE was used for workshop 9, instead of Θ, as some people at the time considered Θ the symbol of death because theta was the first letter of the Greek word for the personification of death- Thanatos

this is the normal Antioch 91

pt8M87Ge4rkF9Yg3k5XMQ52bH6sTZB.jpg.51b7241910c537a25da7a580cabcf7e0.jpg

and yes, I overpaid. I hate it when someone bids multiple times until they finally beat your bid, instead of just bidding once what they are willing to pay; so I threw common sense out the window and kept bidding.

FireShotCapture313-biddr-SavocaCoinsBlue-235thWeeklyBlueAuctionlot578.City_-www.biddr_com.jpg.9715822f41d97d87bc289d6cfa64ef9f.jpg

plus this example is much nicer than the one I sold a few years ago

6YepRgf9n5KqjZr23WBkx7LS8Dboy4.jpg.c2ead15219d3cb64813bd373b4efca4d.jpg

Edited by Victor_Clark
added picture of Antioch 91
  • Like 16
  • Party 2
  • Smile 2

The theta/thanatos superstition at Antioch ended in 330AD (D+E seen up until then on campgates), but D+E just squeaked onto this first issue VRBS ROMA, thereby becoming the last issue to include it. This first SMANT vs SMAN issue is generally scarce, and the VRBS ROMA and CONSTANTINOPOLIS types aren't even listed in RIC, although both exist.

Here's my $43 specimen (from 2014) !

image.png.bec9d246a52a0703291e7fc1995fd1ae.png

• Like 12

That is a beautiful specimen of the type and the story behind its officina mark is very interesting. This ain't @Victor_Clark's first time at the rodeo and he recognized something special for which he was willing to pay a premium. Sadly, he got into a bidding war with another collector who also recognized its historically significant officina markings. 

• Like 6

• Benefactor

Already answered, but if one takes the time to look more closely at coins there will be interesting differences.  There are a lot of interesting things going on with a cuirass, especially with the decorations.  On this example here a combination of my fanciful imagination, lighting, and likely a filled die gives us what looks like a classic example of a butterfly or bee flying across the chest.  If you squint real hard you will see it!

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 1.30.59 PM.png

• Like 3

Interesting, I didn't know about this mintmark.

I'm glad to hear that overpaying happens to others too. I overpaid on the coin below. It is a common type, but I fell in love with the portrait and I was apparently not the only one. I think it is one of the most beautiful portraits of Constantinus II on any coin, and I value the coin for that, but I also know that I would not get my money back if I decided to sell it.

qq.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Yes 1