Titus Sestertius: It just Makes Me Happy!

David Atherton

My latest addition is not a major rarity by any stretch - but it's a good, solid, large bronze with a lot of eye appeal. Simply put, it gives me the warm fuzzies.

T143.jpg.4ed07e95722f08bc152eeb490f6befa9.jpg
Titus
Æ Sestertius, 24.43g
Rome mint, 80-81 AD
Obv: IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: FELICIT PVBLIC; S C in field; Felicitas stg. l., with sceptre and cornucopiae
RIC 142 (C). BMC 160. BNC 153.
Acquired from Lodge Antiquities, August 2024.

In the late spring or early summer of 80 AD Rome suffered a disastrous fire and soon afterwards a devastating plague (perhaps typhus or smallpox). Suetonius tells us that the pestilence was 'unprecedented' and Eusebius claims 10,000 perished. Felicitas, the personification of happiness and prosperity, was greatly needed by both the emperor Titus and the Roman people. This coin struck sometime in 80 or 81 (Titus did not renew the consulship in 81) advertises her blessings through the emperor. This was a fairly popular type during the reign and likely was struck to ease any public anxiety over the recent tragedies. Right facing portraits tend to be less common than left facing ones for Titus' bronze coinage.

In hand.

Please post any coins that make you 'happy'!

As always, thanks for looking.

• Like 15

Here is my last Titus coin. Irregular issue. 

Judaea. Caesarea Maritima mint. Herodians. Agrippa II, with Titus Caesar CE 56-95. Dated RY 14 of Agrippa II’s second era=73/4 CE
Bronze.
[KAIC CЄB AVTOKP TITOC], laureate head of Titus right / BAC [A]ΓP-IΠΠ, Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm frond, L [I]Δ (date) to upper left.
very fine
Hendin 1303; RPC 2248.

20241014_124501.jpg

20241014_124439.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Robi said:

Here is my last Titus coin. Irregular issue. 

Judaea. Caesarea Maritima mint. Herodians. Agrippa II, with Titus Caesar CE 56-95. Dated RY 14 of Agrippa II’s second era=73/4 CE
Bronze.
[KAIC CЄB AVTOKP TITOC], laureate head of Titus right / BAC [A]ΓP-IΠΠ, Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm frond, L [I]Δ (date) to upper left.
very fine
Hendin 1303; RPC 2248.

20241014_124501.jpg

20241014_124439.jpg

Very nice! Provincials are neat rabbit hole journeys.

This is my favorite Titus bronze. I always feel happy looking at it. The portrait is really nice and expressive. I still consider this one of my favorite coins. I want to get a Titus Sestertius but I can't find one that really speaks to me. 

64601931-E605-42CD-A737-7AD4DB91819A.jpeg

6ED3A62D-D41B-4E74-A7FE-648432C0613A.jpeg

• Like 4