Coin trade I saw on Reddit

hotwheelsearl

12 minutes ago, Salomons Cat said:

I have to admit, my initial thought was aligned with @JAZ Numismatics’. But in the end, what really matters is that everyone is happy. If these coins bring joy, why should we say they’re not worth collecting?

I guess I'm viewing it from a perspective of my kids selling it in the future. Even if something is rare if it's in horrible condition selling it will be difficult. I have a Trajan column denarius in bad shape, and no one wants to buy it. It's fine if it brings anyone enjoyment but from my personal perspective, I feel bad when I spend a lot on an ugly coin even if it is rare (depends on what we are talking about). It's occasionally cool to spend a few dollars on a cool cull but only if it kind of serves its place in your collection, but I don't like seeing a cull coin next to a xf example, so I keep very few low-grade examples or keep them in a different part of my binder of ancients.

• Yes 1

Damages don't deter me from buying coins, except the coin needs to be either extremely interesting or historically significant. At least the below coin has a certain eye-appeal with all the main elements present, but I would've passed up on it if it were to be totally worn slick or had bronze disease like the coins above. 

giga.jpg.f1b9634632db8b4ea2687ddec7dfbcf6.jpg

Valerian I, Seleucia ad Calycadnum

Obv. laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Valerian, ΑVΚ ΠΟ ΛΙΚ ΟΥΑΛƐΡΙΑΝΟϹ

Rev. Athena Promachos l. spearing at anguiped Enceladus who raises hands in resistance- ϹƐΛΕΥΚƐΩΝ ΤΩΝ Π[ ]ΚΛΥ(?) 253-260 AD 6.3 g SNG 1059.

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 5