Ancient Britain speculum coin

CurrencyHunter

In doing research for my currency collection, I came across a brief mention of a coin, which I would very much like to purchase a specimen of for my collection. The mention was of a coin composed of speculum (an alloy of tin and bronze) which was produced in britain during the invasion by Caesar (circa 58 - 50 B. C.). This is literally all the information I've been able to find. I very much wish to add this coin or another coin composed of this alloy to my collection. Any info / suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

As said, It must surely be Celtic potins, which were the first coins made in Britain. Actually, by 50BC they were coming to the end of their production. You can get the most common types for £20 or less.

They were inspired by these:

Massalia Hemiobolion, 150-120BC
image.png.244e86a999ba22a9d22d23794bb032f0.png
Massalia. Bronze, 15mm, 3.92g. Head of Apollo left. Bull butting right, MA above (for Massalia, usually ΜΑΣΣΑ) (ABC 115). Found in Dover, Kent on 25 Sep 2018.

These were the first types made in Britain, although they made similar in Gaul:

Thurrock Potin, 120-100BC
image.png.9a2044d5dbe390d5edc6156c7570617f.png
Cantii or Trinovantes tribe, imitating a hemiobolion from the Greek colony Massalia. Cast bronze, 17mm, 3.10g. Head of Apollo left. Bull butting right with central boss, exergual line below, MA above (S 62; ABC 120; VA 1402 'Trinovantian A').

The design degraded over time.

Cantian D Class I Angular Bull Potin, 85-50BC
image.png.6f53db1e8f3b4ea61bac7a3e0d1afba9.png
Cantii Tribe, Kent. Potin, 17mm, 1.79g. Head of Apollo left. Bull of straight lines butting left (S 63; ABC 171; VA 133).

The size was reduced for the last types.

Cantian E Class II Early Dump Potin, 50-45BC
image.png.b9df2a76a6bdce4e6bb60b4b336e0518.png
Cantii Tribe, Kent. Potin, 13-14mm, 1.50g. Head of Apollo right, large pellet in centre. Bull of straight lines, large pellet in centre, direction indeterminate (S 64; ABC 174; VA 135).

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 3