Coin Display Inspiration: Share Your Best and Worst Ideas

Spargrodan

I’m interested in seeing people’s creative ideas for presenting their coins—whether digitally with backgrounds, framed on the wall, or in a coin cabinet. I’m also curious about how you attach your tickets with attributes to the coins and what information you’ve chosen to include. I’d love to see both great examples and even some dreadful or awful ideas, including pictures. What draws your attention, whether good or bad? I'm looking for inspiration and think it would be fun for others to see as well!

• Like 3

I keep my favorite coins in Abafil velvet 1 compartment trays. 1 tray contains ancient Greek and ancient nonclassical coins. 1 tray contains ancient Roman coins. 1 tray contains Byzantine coins. 1 tray contains ancient, medieval, and modern Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, and Indonesian coins. 1 tray contains medieval and early world (as late as 1793 AD) coins. And 1 tray contains late world (1794 AD to the present) and US coins. I like this method, because it allows me to put a large number of coins, coins of various sizes, in a single tray. I keep each 1 compartment tray in a thin Abafil case. Each thin Abafil case can hold 2 trays, but I only put 1 tray in each case, to make it easier to view the coins. I also have a bunch of Abafil velvet 24 compartment trays, and some other thin and thick Abafil cases, in case I ever decide to move the coins to those trays. I keep track of my coins on my computer, including photos of each coin, and attribution information, etc. I only have approximately 250 coins in the above 6 trays. Therefore, I don't need to keep any written information with the coins. I know where the information is, on my computer, for each coin.

I also have a Lincoln cent collection in albums, and some less important coins in albums, and some less important coins in other Abafil velvet trays, and a few fakes in a "black cabinet" wooden case with a felt tray in it, and a bunch of unimportant coins in a small wooden chest. For many of the unimportant coins, I have not bothered to keep any information on my computer.

Here are most of my favorite Byzantine coins, in an Abafil velvet 1 compartment tray, in chronological order. But, I recently won a very important Byzantine coin at an auction, and I'm still waiting for that coin to be shipped, therefore that coin is not shown. I also recently acquired a Justin I coin, which is not shown.

image.jpeg.ab2361d40e0048f33d3801c317acb23a.jpeg

Edited by sand
  • Like 4

I keep all of my coins in a coin cabinet I made a year or two ago. I made a thread about it here:

I've still not come up with a completely satisfactory way of labelling the coins in the cabinet. Right now, I use small 1x1" squares of archival paper and write the ruler. denomination, date, mint, weight, size, die axis, and catalog references with an archival pen. It works but I wish my handwriting were better. 😜

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1

4 hours ago, Spargrodan said:

I’m interested in seeing people’s creative ideas for presenting their coins—whether digitally with backgrounds, framed on the wall, or in a coin cabinet. I’m also curious about how you attach your tickets with attributes to the coins and what information you’ve chosen to include. I’d love to see both great examples and even some dreadful or awful ideas, including pictures. What draws your attention, whether good or bad? I'm looking for inspiration and think it would be fun for others to see as well!

I'm also interested in this topic as I have a number of "specialty" coins and coin sets that I want to display either as bookshelf displays or wall hung. 

I found this display (not mine) to be very interesting. My only comment would be to decrease the depth of the plexiglass case and add more coins. I had these photos in my image database so not sure who the creator was.

Untitled-1.jpg.d2330dd02904b10f3fb94c1f3dec0422.jpgUntitled-2.jpg.52c3babe13a102e27ac4e71296e9df0b.jpgUntitled-3.jpg.70ea3aea10fbeeb7a0c6472b9731aa9c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Yes 1

Since I’m always a little concerned about safety, I will soon install a wall-mounted safe. Moreover – as I’ve mentioned here a few times already – I don’t subscribe to the view held by most ancient coin collectors that handling coins poses no risk. Even small amounts of chloride in sweat can cause silver chloride (horn silver) spots, which damage silver coins. I wouldn’t be so cautious if I hadn’t seen this happen to one of my denarii that I’d owned for over 20 years and had touched with slightly sweaty hands when I was about 11 years old.

As a result, my coins are kept in capsules, stored in a coin cabinet, which will soon be placed in the safe.

Here is my coin cabinet, which holds up to 75 coins (there are still a few empty spots left to fill):
259EADFD-B928-4A3F-80D5-5A0956E30381.jpe

And here is an example of one of the trays:image.jpeg.eed7fb412f1a42a6915b0f3377bf5

• Like 6