SS Gallic War Stater

panzerman

Ambiani/ Gallic War Stater

5.92g.      17mm.       .876

Unknown Mint

Rare variant with SS flanking pellet below Horse

Sills class 5b   GB 5     LT 8705 var.    

"M" shaped Celtic Horse R/ Pellet/ Crescent above/ Beaded Pellet front of Horse/ Pellet below flanked by Twe "S" symbols

Please add your examples of Celtic Ambiani Staters

137_projet_supprimer_un_arrie_re-plan_29_.jpg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1

I have been looking at two examples of that very issue, contemplating a purchase.  Your example is superior to either of them.  These coins with the S were very scarce until a number were discovered in about 2006, according to my understanding.   

One of the best times to buy quality coins is after a hoard enters the market.  Availability increases, prices may dip.  It seldom lasts.  The smart collector takes advantage of this.  Although I have seen 3 examples, including @panzerman’s, in the last week, I suspect that is just coincidence.   The other two were in the hand of one dealer.  My bet is that hoard was disbursed long ago.  Nice coin.

@Croatian Coin Collector, your coin is beautiful yellow gold.  Equally awesome coin.  

Edited by Hrefn
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Celtic, Imported coinage. Ambani. Circa 100-50 BC. AV Stater (17mm, 6.35g). Gallo-Belgic E. Gallic Wars Issue. Obv: Plain bulge. Rev: Large, disjointed horse right; ornaments around; solid exergue line above pellets-in-crescents. Ref: Depeyrot, NC VI, 161; D&T 238; Van Arsdell 54-1; ABC 16; SCBC 11. A few very light marks on obverse. Good Very Fine. Ex Apollo to Apollo collection; Ex Boule (Monaco) (Dec 2016), Lot 12. Ex Gorny and Mosch e299 (5 Mar 2018), Lot 3. Ex Gorny and Mosch e284 (7 Mar 2022), Lot 4. Ex Roma XXV (22 Sept 2022), Lot 7. Ex Bruun Rasmussen Auction 916 (7 Nov 2023), Lot 354. Auction Note: although this type is normally found with a blank obverse the present interesting example clearly shows an underlying design of a typical Celticized head of Apollo. This peculiar issue was struck by a coalition of Gallic tribes in order to finance the war against the Roman invaders lead by Julius Caesar.

image.jpeg.5633d9ad75fad2dc61bdbacffa07657e.jpeg

• Like 2