28 mm 16.41 gm Thompson issue 71
Thompson catalogue: Obs 1036: Rev NEW
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
on which month mark A control AN/ ΔH below
2 magistrates : NIKOGENES KALLIMACHOS
RF symbol : Hermes [with Caduceus]
All surrounded by an olive wreath

This issue can either 2 or 3 magistrates, the symbol Hermes holding Caduceus ( missing here) can be missed out, removed from die on some issues,but a highly abbreviated 3rd magistrate then added. The 2nd control is overstruck, the undertype is AN, but the N is reversed! Nothing is known about the magistrates but a coin of the time of tension in Athens between pro-Roman and pro-Mithradatic supporters.

Hermes NO symbo, 94 BC den of antiquity.jpg

• Like 17

• Benefactor

Based on my very limited participation in auctions now, almost entirely with CNG, I haven't seen very many new style owls offered.  Roma would sometimes have a nice run of them, but that is becoming ancient history with their closure in May.  One the MA Shops and VCoins front, the same thing - very few new style owls appearing.  Those that appear are from the early to middle periods of minting, with the vast majority being from the latter.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 2

Correct, NewStyles are not being found like they were 10 years ago. Hoard finds in the Balkans are dry! What seems to come up are collectors getting rid of their mis-fits! 

Thank goodness I started when I did in early 2010, when Lanz, particularly seemed to have hoard after hoard soon after!

There is one coin I will never get, the star between 2 crescents. CNG had the only example in modern times and I went $10000 on it but failed, so I made do with a chalkon. I have completed All of the Rome -pontic coins. The only things left are the post Sullan times and they are few and far between, with many singletons. I do miss Roma! Where have the coins they got gone to?

Edited by NewStyleKing
  • Like 3

I've managed to obtain two new-style tetradrachms in the last 25 years. Both are earlier than your fine specimen, @NewStyleKing.  My experience is very similar to yours, @robinjojo. There are so few opportunities to pick up these New Style tetradrachms. I always thought I could find one 'later,' which turned out to be much harder to do.

image.jpeg.15a6a7cabce348f8186e023b34b5e73f.jpegGreece. Attica. 134-133 BC. New Style AR Tetradrachm (16.73g, 26.6mm, 12h) of Athens. Head of Athena r. w/ crested Attic helmet w/ four horse heads above visor and Pegasos over earpiece. / Owl stdg r. on amphora, A-OE above. TIM-APXOY, NIKAΓ[O], ΣΩΣIΓ to r. (magistrates). Anchor & star to l., [Δ] on amphora, ME beneath. gVF. Bt. Louis diLauro, Coral Gables, 2000. HGC 4 #1602; Thompson 363f, 363g = Svoronos Monnaies, pl.50 #5 (same obv. die); HGC 4 #1602. cf. SNG Cop 3 (Attica-Aegina) #249 (drachm); CNG 118 #202 (E on amphora, same obv. die), EA 393 #69, Triton XIV #198.

And recently, I won this at auction, at five times the cost of the first. 

image.jpeg.92a228c82d5d620de59f69697122e0de.jpegGreece. Attica. c. 165-142 BC. AR Tetradrachm (16.67ᵍᵐ 31ᵐᵐ 12ʰ)  Athens. New style coinage 108/7 BC. Helmeted head of Athena Parthenos right. / Owl standing right on amphora, head facing; in right field, Tyche standing left, extending hand and holding cornucopia; AΘE EΥMHΛOΣ KAΛΛIΦΩN ΔIOKΛ in fields, E on amphora, ME below.  VF. Magistrates Eumelos, Kalliphon, and Diokl...  CNG EA 566 #111. "Slight die wear."  Thompson 739b (same dies); HGC 4 #1602; SNG Cop. 3 (Attica-Aegina) #169. 

• Like 6
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Nice examples!  I agree that there always has been a scarcity of these owls.  I began collecting the new style owls in the early 1990s, and they weren't cheap back then by any means. 

It seems, in decreasing order of availability, from greatest to least, the most available would, of course, be the standardized classical owls, followed by the intermediate of Pi-style owls, and the new style owls as the least available on a comparative basis.  Throw in all of the eastern imitation owls and you have quite a mix.