OK this one has me stumped.

Sandy

Hey folks. 

Thank you for helping me for the other coin! Thank you CPK for sending me the link for Numismatics. I used it identify over 100 coins! There are about a half dozen that I couldn't figure out though and this is one of them. Any help again would be very appreciated. 

Screenshot_20241021_071010_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20241021_071016_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Nice coin!

It is Severus Alexander, RIC IV 160:

Obv: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Rev: MARTI PACIFERO, Mars standing left, holding olive branch and spear

Other references would be Sear (Roman Coins and Their Values) No. 7884 and BMCRE (British Museum Coins of the Roman Empire) No. 68

Edited by CPK
  • Like 1

Oh man! The same emperor again! I never even thought of looking at the back for the name (let alone the shortened SEV ALEX!) Thank you JAZ and CPK. Great handles by the way (maybe I should have used initials too!) 

18 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Oh wait, Obverse is front. Right. My only excuse is that I'm old! Thanks guys! I'll check out those other references too CPK...thanks for that too!

No problem! Glad to help. Deciphering Roman coin legends can be difficult at first since they are usually heavily abbreviated and are all run together, but once you know what to look for (combinations like IMP, AVG, CAES, name shortenings like FL, C, M, etc.) it gets easier!

• Like 1
  • Yes 1