Help! Ancient coin or modern fake?

HipShot Photography

While I don't own the coin shown below, I recently photographed it as part of a larger collection of about 30 ancient coins. Among them was one I previously identified as a fake—not something I was actively seeking, but rather a discovery stumbled upon while researching the coin, with some help from one of Wayne Sayles' books. Fast forward a few weeks, and when I shared the image below on social media—another coin from the same lot— someone on Instagram pointed out that it appeared to be cast rather than struck, as expected, and expressed concern that I might have spent a lot on it. As I mentioned, I don't own it, but this skepticism led me to wonder: could this coin also be a counterfeit? Another reason for my interest, though hardly conclusive, is the colouring of this coin looks strikingly similar to the confirmed fake. Since then, I've tried to gather information about it, but with little success. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments they would care to share? What would you tell the owner of the coin? 

NUM00004843_a.jpg.4a1f67b5c348f1073b2904da789f496e.jpgNUM00004843_b.jpg.afbf962de008e52f15308f4be4ee6489.jpg

• Thinking 1

• Benefactor

That coin is certainly crude in terms of die work.  There's also odd flatness in the middle of Alexander III's portrait.  

There are also pits that could be due to corrosion or breaks in silver plating revealing a copper core (fourrée?).  

I don't think this is a cast coin and it appears to be a drachm.  Weight information would confirm that guess.

I'd be the first to admit a general lack of knowledge when it comes to the vast coinage of Alexander III, so perhaps others can make a better assessment of this coin.

I found a similar coin, with a monogram under the chair online for comparison.  Kolophon mint.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/aeternitas_numismatics/2/product/alexander_iii_the_great_ar_drachma_efef_kolophon_mint_hercules__zeus/2012219/Default.aspx

Edited by robinjojo