Numis Forums Suggestions

Restitutor

44 minutes ago, Kaleun96 said:

I never used it for trolling

You not, but some other User will do...

44 minutes ago, Kaleun96 said:

a disagree/thumbs down emoji would do just fine!

My 2 Cents - same as the confusing emoji ... I dont like "negative" oder dislike emojis in this forum.

Why? 

Quite simply - if you don't like something, you should write it down in words and explain it to the other person! "I think you're wrong / I don't like what you're writing because...". Then you can tell the other person why you don't agree with them. Such a written counter-opinion then leaves no room for interpretation. 

But if you write something and I only give your post a "Dislike" - then you don't know which part I don't agree with, why I don't agree with it and you don't know my attitude towards it - or my mood.

Am I annoyed by your post? Or are we just disagreeing a little? Am I just trying to make a different suggestion? 

Emojis alone - leave a lot of room for speculation. And with "negative" emojis, there's a lot of negative room for speculation. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

You not, but some other User will do...

My 2 Cents - same as the confusing emoji ... I dont like "negative" oder dislike emojis in this forum.

Why? 

Quite simply - if you don't like something, you should write it down in words and explain it to the other person! "I think you're wrong / I don't like what you're writing because...". Then you can tell the other person why you don't agree with them. Such a written counter-opinion then leaves no room for interpretation. 

But if you write something and I only give your post a "Dislike" - then you don't know which part I don't agree with, why I don't agree with it and you don't know my attitude towards it - or my mood.

Am I annoyed by your post? Or are we just disagreeing a little? Am I just trying to make a different suggestion? 

Emojis alone - leave a lot of room for speculation. And with "negative" emojis, there's a lot of negative room for speculation. 

There comes a point where replying to someone to explain why you disagree with them when they say something stupid, for example equating the actions of the average auction house with what Richard Beale has been convicted of, is often a waste of time for all involved. Not to mention that you very quickly end up derailing a thread with reply after reply when a quick "I disagree" emoji or comment would suffice.  

Not everything requires a thought-out response. I think people here are acting as if the "confused" emoji is used after someone has written a nice thoughtful research piece on some aspect of numismatics. Rather, the confused emoji tends to be reserved for more deranged comments, such as those about Beale, a thread with a vague numismatic excuse for posting depictions of half-naked women or other crass images, or something silly like when someone claims that the antiquity laws of other countries aren't lawful because they happen to disagree with them.

If someone writes intelligently on some aspect of numismatics then I agree, simply downvoting or adding some other negative reaction is not a polite response.

• Like 3

To chime in as to my I removed the 'Confused' emoji... while I do think it served a useful purpose at times (like @Kaleun96 highlighted above), my intention with emojis was for them to always be positive and fun. So with that said I won't be including a dislike button either. If someone makes a confusing post, I think the absence of replies or fun emojis says enough. Basically, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything (this statement is not directed at anyone, just how I think about things). 

@DonnaML I've added the care emoji 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor
6 hours ago, Restitutor said:

To chime in as to my I removed the 'Confused' emoji... while I do think it served a useful purpose at times (like @Kaleun96 highlighted above), my intention with emojis was for them to always be positive and fun. So with that said I won't be including a dislike button either. If someone makes a confusing post, I think the absence of replies or fun emojis says enough. Basically, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything (this statement is not directed at anyone, just how I think about things). 

@DonnaML I've added the care emoji 🙂

Thanks, although I don't see it in the menu.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Thanks, although I don't see it in the menu.

I don't remember, if the Nvmis Forvms "Heart" emoji is new. The image of the Nvmis Forvms "Heart" emoji, is similar to the Facebook "Care" emoji, because they both show a person holding a heart. However, the word "Heart" can have a slightly different meaning, than the word "Care". So does Nvmis Forvms now have a "Care" emoji like the 1 on Facebook? Yes and no, perhaps.

• Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

On 6/28/2024 at 5:45 PM, sand said:

I'm also in the anti-confused-emoji camp, for various reasons. 1 reason, is that the confused emoji just looked over the top, with the spinning eyes and wide open mouth. I don't think I've ever seen anyone, who is that confused. Also, if I were confused about a post, then I would post a reply, in which I would explain why I was confused, and asking for clarification, rather than just posting a confused emoji. For me, a "disagree" emoji would be much better, than a confused emoji. However, for me, no emojis at all, would be even better.

Lots of times the emojis are pretty neat, but (many?) other times I wish we could express what we think about the coin or posting through words. I prefer a book with a good typeface to all the colorful and "creative" stuff that clutters things one reads on the Internet.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1