I don't usually collect Valerian but..

Nerosmyfavorite68

Here's my Valerian with a decent portrait but what caught my eye was the animalistic interpretation of Felicitas on the reverse.1164068277_normal_valerian(1).jpg.5c50aef4f0502b28bfd86e8ef14eefa0.jpg

I AR Antoninianus.Rome AD 255-256 ...2.93g
Obverse..IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right
Reverse..FELICITAS AVGG, Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopiae.
RIC 87, Cohen 55; Sear 9936

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Fun thread ... great coins by everybody!

🙃

Ummm, I have randomly included some Valerian-era coins (I wasn't quite sure about the posting prerequisites, so hopefully I didn't add a couple of duds??)

=> Valerian-I, Valerian-II, Gallienus, Salonia, Saloninus and Postumus

Valerian I.jpg

Valerian II.jpg

Gallienus Centaur.jpg

Gallienus Eagle Tet.jpg

Pamphylia Gallienus.jpg

Salonina a.jpg

salonina b.jpg

saloninus.jpg

postumus too.jpg

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

My only Valerian I. Fun little story, I bought a Decius from a certain seller and I got it in my mail, no issue. Then a week later this one showed up out of nowhere, claiming itself to be the Decius (Mind you, I already had it). I contacted the seller and told me it must've been an error, I got to keep it so... It's free real estate. Two for the price of one.

It's a very nice "Iovi Conservatori" full legend type so I'm not going to complain. (I wouldn't complain even if it was literally the worst coin ever, it's free!)

The picture doesn't make full honor to the reverse.

fugdrm0.png

Valerian | 253-260  |  Minted 254 | Antoninianus | Rome | IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG | IOVI CONSERVATORI | RIC V 92cA

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:36 AM, John Conduitt said:

It's not easy to get nice coins of the Valerians.

Valerian I Antoninianus, 258-259image.png.269328baf249d076de9c140868c58439.pngColonia Agrippina. Silver, 23mm, 3.49g. Radiate draped and cuirassed bust right; VALERIANVS P F AVG. Virtus-Soldier standing left holding Victory and spear; VIRTVS-AVGG (RIC V, 24 Var). From the Botley (Hampshire) Hoard 1997 of 1389 radiates, deposited in 274.

I just got one like this, and had a tough time finding others like it (RIC 24 - all of which seem to be a "variety").   I was pleasantly surprised to find yours on NF.  Here is mine, just came in yesterday:

997148126_Valerian-Ant.VIRTVSAVGGOct2022(0).jpg.f12f6db042f0b3cca7ef68ab76b3c318.jpg

Valerian I            Antoninianus (257-260 A.D.)    Cologne Mint VALERIANVS · P · F · AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS AVGG, soldier (Virtus/emperor/Mars?) standing left, holding Victory and spear (points up). RIC V 24c var. (rev. descrip.); Göbl MIR 36, 887d. (2.85 grams / 20 x 18 mm) eBay Oct. 2022 

Everything I know about this coin comes from a CNG auction, which had this very helpful information - note that your coin, and mine, have a definite spear, point upwards - this CNG example has more of a sceptre-looking thing, although it could just be a weakly-struck point:

1890336900_Valerian-Ant.VIRTVSAVGGVirtusholdingVictoryRIC24-auct2CNGpic2.jpg.4c63b211f444e5f5e2cc49fd722112c0.jpg

The identity of the figure on the reverse is again uncertain, although most catalogues list him as a personification of Virtus. RIC describes him as a soldier. Descriptions also vary from one catalogue to another. RIC 24 has the figure holding Victory, but without sceptre. MIR does not mention the sceptre either. In the Cunetio and Stevenage reports the figure is described as holding ‘Victory on globe and long vertical spear (points up)’. On this coin the figurine of Victory does not stand on a globe, and the vertical item has no points, so is presumably a sceptre, not a spear. The main figure wears a crested helmet and, apparently, armour, with part of a cloak hanging down behind him. He may, therefore, be Mars, but could equally be the emperor. Since all coin iconography is essentially about the emperor, I favour the latter interpretation.  https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=379481

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:36 PM, John Conduitt said:

It's not easy to get nice coins of the Valerians

That is definetely true. I think it is often underappreciated just under how much stress the empire was around the middle of the 3rd century. During this period large cities, which were often situated at a long distance from the borders fell into ruins, or were partially abandonded with civic buildings like theaters and temples being dismantled for the fortification of smaller core settlements. Lutetia (Paris) is just one of several Roman towns that experienced rapid decline during that period. Against this background its is not surprising that the quality of minting coins deteriorated too. 

But there are of course exceptions, as we have seen above. Here is another example of a well made coin of Valerian from the mint of Viminacium:

Obv.: IMP P LIC VALERIANO AVG

Rev.: FIDES MILITVM

Mint: Viminacium

Year: AD 253

Weight: 4.06

MIR 792d

pius.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

Valerian II is also a must have.

My only Valerian coin, until yesterday, was this very cheap and not very pretty type with pontifical implements

image.png.0ac893c7c6c1f9757e15c92a62d73c3e.png

Valerian II, Caesar AD 254-255. Rome
Billon Antoninianus
22 mm, 2,34 g
P LIC VALERIANVS CAES, bust of Valerian II, radiate, draped, right / PIETAS AVGG, Sacrificial implements, variously arranged
RIC V Valerian II 19

I have added a coin I was considering for a while. It shows Valerian II as Divus (Divo in fact) and although the reverse was struck from a worn die, it is quite decent. And from Cologne.

image.png.a469bb4a7b35bbaaf63f87b87fb66938.png

Divus Valerian II AD 258. Colonia Agippinensium (Cologne)
Antoninianus AR
22 mm, 2,54 g
AD 257-258. DIVO VALERIANO CAES, bust of Valerian II, radiate, draped, right / CONSACRATIO, eagle bearing Valerian II to heaven. RIC V Valerian II 9; RSC 5

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

I just picked up my first Valerian recently. I was mainly looking for a representative coin and was cheap, but I'm happy with this one. I haven't picked up his sequel yet.

331A1742-Edit.jpg.fa59fbded3296cdf93c1e999b8857eab.jpg

Valerian I
AR Antoninianus 3.25g, 23mm, 6h
Colonia Agrippinensis, 257 CE
VALERIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust to right / ORIENS AVGG, Sol advancing to left, raising hand and holding globe
RIC V.1 12 (Lugdunum) var. (bust type); MIR 868h; RSC 143a var. (same)
Ex Roma

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 10/30/2022 at 12:07 PM, ambr0zie said:

image.png.a469bb4a7b35bbaaf63f87b87fb66938.png

Divus Valerian II AD 258. Colonia Agippinensium (Cologne)
Antoninianus AR
22 mm, 2,54 g
AD 257-258. DIVO VALERIANO CAES, bust of Valerian II, radiate, draped, right / CONSACRATIO, eagle bearing Valerian II to heaven. RIC V Valerian II 9; RSC 5

@ambr0zie, here are two little variants of your last one 😉

A fun imitation

1631016080_DivusValerianusIIimitation.jpg.95d7ae8813fd544789c2d9c3f619e3d7.jpg

And a nice thunderbolt

1316601591_ValerianusIIthunderbolt.jpg.504086c5947953e55e103e716b66c682.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Thinking 1

I have never seen the imitation - I consider it well above average. I am also aware about the thunderbolt version.

Very nice coins - congratulations. I would pick the imitation without blinking. Are you sure this is indeed unofficial? I am asking because the 3rd century imitation I saw are usually inferior, from the artistry point of view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Are you sure this is indeed unofficial? I am asking because the 3rd century imitation I saw are usually inferior, from the artistry point of view.

Here are some pics of my Divus Valerianus from Cologne, for the sake of comparison...The portrait on the´odd’´ one is slightly smaller in size, as is the flan. Weight is OK, 3.15g. The lettering is not too bad, but the overall style does not look right even though the engraving is quite detailed. Look at the wobbling crown, and the funny eagle and the emperor on it... It does certainly look ancient though, that is why I think it is a contemporary imitation... I may be wrong (?)

3DC2A088-8AB6-456A-BA09-00FE3A976B09.jpeg.69abc989c0939b2642f3f6ba3dbd310c.jpegDF69D802-DE4C-4CDA-B7DB-6E8CC84B07E1.jpeg.5d8bc05bd3f0d15c359be43165473392.jpeg

Edited by Barzus
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

I do not mean to contradict you at all. I am certainly not educated enough in Valerian II coins, having just 2. The Divus coin was an old target and I bought it just 2 days ago - I consider it an emblematic coin of the 3rd century. I also intend to buy an example with young Zeus riding Almathea (another emblematic coin). 

Unofficial imitation or not, I really like your coin and if it is unofficial, the engraver was talented. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Thanks 1